Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wd000 (7B9S0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I'm having this issue with battery with this laptop, bought in January 2024.
Every time I turn off (not sleep) the laptop, I'm losing around minimum 10% charge DAILY, while it's turned Off ie shut down. I have disabled the fast startup option from the settings but even if the laptop is shut down, the battery keeps draining around 1-2% per hour.

I have 1 wired headphones, mouse and keyboard connected to it. Last night, I shut it down at 87% around 1 AM and started it the next day around 4 PM. The battery was at 67% which is not normal at all (Please find the image attached).

This not only an annoyance as I need to charge the battery again but also damages the battery as its cycle is consumed. I have also disabled USB Chargin from bios, and fast startup from the settings. Even though the fast startup is off, the setting shows screen on while it was not. On the contrary, task manager shows the correct uptime.

Screenshot_2-3-2024_14216_www.reddit.com.jpeg

Also with the battery backup, it is said that this machine has 6hr backup but with only doing basic tasks such as web browsing and media streaming, the most backup I got was around 2 hr 15 min, which should not be the case for normal tasks. I have set the mode to hybrid so that it does not use d-gpu all the time. Is there any way to fix both of the issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I talked to HP support and they told me to uninstall some windows updates and now the battery drop issue plus the screen on all the time issue is solved. Might have been some update issue. Uninstalling prev updates and installing the latest one fixed this.WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 19.59.28_41863161.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

You system is not shutting off.  I believe it is in "Modern Standby"

The image you presented shows your system has been on the entire 24 hour span else it would not have a record of the battery rundown.

You can try the following registry edits to disable modern standby.  I do not have a system capable of modern standby and have never used the procedure described below.

https://www.minitool.com/news/modern-standby.html

Does the system rundown overnight when it is left plugged in?  I would leave the system charging overnight rather than make a registry change or BIOS update.

I looked at the BIOS releases and there are a few updates that fix problems with the fan.  Possibly the fan is left spinning after the system is shutdown if the BIOS senses the temperature is too hot.  This is a guess on my part.  

Try running the HP Support Assistant and see if it recommends a BIOS or any other type of update.

You can extend the battery life as well as the health of the system by keeping the CPU out of the highest turbo mode.   Edit the Power Plan and set the maximum processor speed to %99 instead of 100.  This can make a huge difference in CPU temperature and extend the life of your laptop, not just the battery.

Always run diagnostics before doing a BIOS update.
Tap the ESC key after powering on to run diagnostics.
Do not allow any updates if disk or memory fail, especially a BIOS update.

If disabling "Modern Standby" works then restore the fast boot   You might consider changing "sleep" to "hibernate" in your power plan.  The differences are discussed here.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I disabled the modern standby option and also unplugged my keyboard, and last night, left my charger at 100% around 2 PM and now checking at 11 AM, the charge was showing 100% but in the graph, it is gradually increasing to 100%. On checking the battery health, I found that the battery full charge capacity is 95% (79 Whr) whereas the full capacity is 83 Whr (This machine is 2 months old and the battery cycle showing is 8).
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-03 at 10.58.37_8943a77f.jpg

Checked for BIOS but there was no BIOS update recommended. Changed the CPU performance to 99% but the battery still drains 1% every 4-5 minutes in normal web surfing.

HP Recommended

From the graph your show, it is clear you system is not turning off.  It is on and is recording the battery  level. 

I do not know why it is not off.  Are you clicking on "shutdown" or are you just closing the lid?

If closing the lid, change your power plan so your system hibernates.

You may have to re-enable fast startup if hibernate is not an option.

The following is from a laptop.  Note that shutdown defaults to sleep.  Please change to shutdown instead of sleep

BeemerBiker_0-1709493286213.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I am clicking on shutdown, then once it is if off, I close the lid. I do the shut down through Win -> Power -> Shutdown. I'll share my current battery usage graph and power settings, if it helps. I forced shutdown last two hours in the graph by keep pressing the power button to see whether it will show screen off or not, and it did not.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-04 at 18.47.02_13229f87.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-04 at 18.46.26_43491cbf.jpg

HP Recommended

I talked to HP support and they told me to uninstall some windows updates and now the battery drop issue plus the screen on all the time issue is solved. Might have been some update issue. Uninstalling prev updates and installing the latest one fixed this.WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 19.59.28_41863161.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having the same problem for about a week now. Can you tell me what update of Windows I have to remove to solve this?

HP Recommended

Settings > Windows Update > Update History > Uninstall Updates, here, I uninstalled my recent 2 updates named as "Update for Microsoft Windows" which were from Feb and March. Removing these two solved this issue for me.

HP Recommended

Hi!

can you please help me out? I am facing the same issue you faced and I can't seem to get out of it.

I tried uninstalling the update you mentioned, but I couldn't even find it.

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm sorry but I'm also still in the same situation. No one seems to know how this problem came about.... I have tried uninstalling the updates that were indicated to me but nothing changes.... I was told to change the battery because it was now dead, but although I did the problem persists. If anyone has a solution please help us!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.