Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 j020us Quad Edition product number E0K96UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, my battery capacity has been dropping from 100% roughly 1-2% a day. Right now, my computer tells me that my battery is stuck at 83% and when the charger is plugged in, it says it is not charging. I believe I have updated the BIOS and I've run every battery check my computer has available. It might be a problem with the adaptor itself but is there any way I can tell for sure? Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I apologize about that. I updated the process that tests my battery and the test worked this time. Thank you again for your help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Will the laptop run on power adapter without the battery installed?

You also might check your adapter here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-17-j000-quad-edition-notebook-pc-series/5387628/model/5...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

My laptop does run the power adapter without the battery and my adapter is not one that is affected by the recall. 

HP Recommended

@smatangos

Have you checked your battery on the recall document?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-17-j000-quad-edition-notebook-pc-series/5387628/model/5...

HP Recommended

My laptop is not listed as one of the affected devices and my battery does not appear on that list either. 

HP Recommended

Actually, I ran a diagnostic test of my battery and it failed so the battery is definitely the issue. Can you help me order another battery. I do not know which kind I need for my laptop.

HP Recommended

My first suspicion except -In your first post you said you had run every battery  test available. 

Your Manual should give you the part number of battery. Use it to do a Google search. Fairly certain HP does not still carry it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401

HP Recommended

I apologize about that. I updated the process that tests my battery and the test worked this time. Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

You're welcome. Good luck with your battery search.

HP Recommended

Go to the store Batteries Plus.  Do NOT buy one off Ebay.  Amazon may be OK if the seller has been in business for years.  The problem is that the market is flooded with low quality Li-Ion batteries that are sold very cheaply in Hong Kong and places like that.  Li-Ion cell manufacturing is not an exact science and many cells fail testing in the factory but that's OK since there's plenty of fly-by-night battery makers who will buy the discards and package them into laptop batteries that are sold overseas.

The laptop batteries sold by HP are good, Batteries Plus are good, and there's a handful of online laptop battery stores that sell good product as well as some Amazon sellers but there's a LOT of fly-by-night sellers who will setup, sell crummy batteries for a year or so then disappear when feedback gets too bad on them.

I should mention that there are batteries available for virtually every laptop ever sold that uses Li-Ion batteries no matter how old they are.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.