Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy

Upon turning on my laptop an updating bios screen appears. After running through "blocks" it says the screen will go black and led lights may flash. Says it may take a few minutes to finish. It's been blank for about 20 hours.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Silentjay,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is stuck on the BIOS update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • How did you install the BIOS update? (HP support assistant or HP website)
  • What is the operating system you are using?

Meanwhile, I recommend you hard shutdown the computer (Press and hold the power button until the computer goes off) and then wait for a minute and turn on the computer. Check if the computer boots to Windows normally.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

17m-Bw0013dx

I tried turning off, waiting and turning on. Screen stayed black. Went through all the HP suggestions to fix except opening the back of laptop but didnt work. It must have been set for auto update because when it was doing the bios screen, it had come on automatically when I had turned it on. Since then, I took it to a repair shop. Said it will be a week or two before they can get to my laptop as they are unusually busy at this time.

HP Recommended

@Silentjay,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Do let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I called the repair store today. They said they were waiting to hear back from HP Warranty Services and that the person working on it would be in tomorrow  

HP Recommended

@Silentjay,

Thank you for the update.

Do let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, had to pick up my laptop from Ubreakifix. They said there is an issue with the motherboard and that they didn't have schematics to do any repair. They said to contact HP to inquire about sending it in to be repaired. They said you would have access to their repair notes they had on the notebook. What do I need to do to send it in to HP to be looked at?

HP Recommended

How/where do I send my laptop in to HP?  (See last update)

HP Recommended

@Silentjay

Thank you for posting back. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, I might be missing where to go on the link you provided. I've done the ask the community, I've taken my laptop into a certified repair shop and they were unable to fix the laptop. They said to send it in to hp as there is a motherboard issue that the shop can't fix. Anything on the link you sent me seems to either want me to ask the community (again) or find nearest center (again). I've already asked the community and brought it in to an hp approved place for service. What I need is to send it into hp to be fixed or else I have a very expensive paper weight.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.