Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0070wm
Microsoft Windows 11

Just took delivery on a new HP Pavilion 15 Laptop, and don't understand why the CPU fan runs constantly.   I have very little in the Start-up, and am not running any demanding software.  It runs even when I'm just browsing on the internet.

I have already run diagnostics, and everything passed.  I also updated the BIOS, which didn't change the behavior.  Energy management is on factory settings. 

Other information:  The fan speed does vary.  Periodically, the fan is also noisy . . . mostly when I start using the laptop.  Even though I'm using a separate monitor, I've been leaving the laptop lid open to assist with cooling, but it doesn't seem to matter.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If this is happening with the notebook plugged in to A/C power, there should be a setting in the BIOS set to 'Fan always on when on A/C power.'

The default setting is 'Enabled.

If you disable the setting, the fan will only come on when needed.

If you have already turned disabled that setting, unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the problem is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.