Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 1085wm
Microsoft Windows XP

I have a touch screen hp notebook model 15 1085wm . I had to purchase an adapter on line threw amazon less than a year ago, due to misplacing the original one . However it worked fine until last month. At first my computer would turn on atleast ......the screen suddenly stopped turning on and only light that was on was the small white one by where the adapter plugs into it . It would blink oike 3 times and go off . (The light) I never noticed until today that the adapter is burned on the tip and the plug in part on my laptop smells horrible like electric fire ! Someone please help me ! I’m in  college trying to do my  homework and can’t even get it to turn ion . I haven’t used that adapter again I know it’s broke . But Can someone tell me if it’s a total loss ? What do I do ?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@BrandiF 

There are two possibilities here:

1) Adapter is burnt out but the PC is OK

2) Adapter overcharged the PC, burning out the motherboard, before burning out itself due to shorting out after that.

Unfortunately, we have no way to check either of these -- especially the second one.

If you can take the laptop to a local service center where they can hook it up to a working charger, that will at least let you know if the laptop is still usable.  Or, you could buy a new adapter online and try that -- but that is more money and time than you probably want to spend, and if the laptop still does not start, you've wasted your money.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.