Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a reconditioned elitebook. The CD drive showed empty but I cannot open it . Vendor sent me a replacement drive and tole me it would be easy to install.

The problem is the existing drive in the notebook is stuck. I have tried several times to release the existing drive but it won't budge.

I have tried the use of an object in the release  hole on the outside, to no effect.

I loosened fully the screw holding the drive and pressed the shiny metal tab as far as it would go (see blue arrow on attached image). There was only slight movement of the bezel - corresponding to the length of the metal tab,

EliteCD0311.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you use a screw driver to push on the tab and give the force to release the drive. Look at page 71 - 72 of service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03659338

You need to push the tab forward with screw driver. Look this HP video for that model. Click on optical drive in list on left:

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5212907&MEID=5A0F9323-0716-4660-A5A8-3B16D9B3C5B4

Your picture looks a little different than service manual. The tab needs to be pushed forward to give the force to push the drive out of the slot. If you insert a paper clip into the hole in the front and push it should release the front of the drive and give you more grip to remove drive.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

See the official remove and replacement videos for your notebook at the following link.

Click on Optical drive  in the column at the left to see how it is done.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5212907&MEID=5A0F9323-0716-4660-A5A8-3B16D9B3C5B4

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico

As you can see I already posted the official video. However if you look at the video you can see that the tabs are actually slightly different than in the picture the Member posted.

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

@iomare wrote:

@erico

As you can see I already posted the official video. However if you look at the video you can see that the tabs are actually slightly different than in the picture the Member posted.

Regards,

David

Ah I missed it when I looked over your post. It still does look pretty straight forward to remove and install.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.