Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G5 Mobile Workstation IDS Base Model

Hi guys - My ZBook G5 already has M.2 drives in all of the available slots.

I have a spare M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe that I am upgrading and would like to adapt it to the Optical Drive slot.

My optical drive currently has an adapter tray housing a 2.5 SSD but that drive is now too small.  

Losing some speed for this drive is fine. What adapter is available for the M.2 NVMe, if at all?

Thanks for any insights!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You wouldn't be able to do that because the optical drive interface is SATA only, so a NVMe SSD would not be recognized in a DVD adapter.  Maybe a M.2 SATA SSD if such an adapter existed to accommodate one would work, but not an NVMe SSD.

So, you may as well continue to use the DVD/2.5" caddy which would perform equally as well as a M.2 SATA/DVD caddy.

HP Recommended

Ok - thanks for the insights Paul! I'll have to order a SATA drive.

If I (or anyone) could access the M.2 port hidden beneath the motherboard, all my problems would be solved. But even HP cannot offer this service. I don't understand why they'd create such an impossible port.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.