Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-w200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I replace my current m.2 128 gb ssd slotted b+m with an m.2 512 gb ssd ( from Crucial) that is slotted m? Crucial claimed the Omen can support it but the only way I will be able to verify this is to take the laptop apart and have a look. (I am not quite ready to do this yet)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Two different versions of the 17-w200 depending on video card so the exact model number or product number would be helpful but a couple general observations. The issue is not the key type of the M.2 SSD. All M.2 slots are physically the same. You can insert either a B + M or M keyed SSD no problem. The issue is how the motherboard is configured; does it accept SATA only or SATA or NVME type M.2 SSD. Almost but not all SATA are B + M and almost but not all NVME are M keyed only. It seems all versions of the 17-w200 model series can accept either NVME or SATA M.2 SSDs. Would also help to know the type of M.2 SSD i.e. the model type of the SSD: SATA or NVME? But 99% you are OK with the M keyed M.2 SSD. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback. I have added the additional information you requested

The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

According to the manual it is M.2 SATA, PCle NVMe TLC capable of supporting the following configurations

-128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA

-256 GB 2280 M2 PCle 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA

-512 GB 2280 M2 PCle 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA

My current configuration is 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA and a 1TB HHD

Also, by chance, would you know how many m.2 slots there are in this laptop

HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

As suspected, it will accept an NVME M.2 SSD. If you need a recommendation, Samsung 970 Evo Plus or WD Black or the Crucial P3 are all good. Your PCIe generation is 3.0 so the very most recent gen 4.0 NVME SSDs will not provide any advantage over the slightly older ones listed above. There is a single M.2 slot.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.