Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario v2000
Microsoft Windows XP

i want to upgrade my RAM 1GB x2, found in my laptop there is 512 DDR PC3200 and PC2700, which series is suitable? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The best processor you can upgrade to would be the Intel Pentium M 745 (1.8-GHz).

I would go with the PC3200 memory, because it runs at 400 MHz (the same as the processor's FSB).

The PC2700 memory only runs at 333 MHz, so you are being robbed of 66 MHz of memory speed with the PC2700 memory chip in there now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model Intel processor does your notebook have?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Pentium M 1.6Ghz.

and actually I'm planning to upgrade the processor too... do u know the max upgrade for this one?

Thx mate. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the v2000 service manual.

The supported processors can be found in chapter 1.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00444244.pdf

I take it you have the Pentium M725, as that is the only 1.6 GHz processor listed?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27584/intel-pentium-m-processor-725-2m-cache-1-...

If so, then the memory you would use is PC2700.

But if it is easier to find the PC3200 memory you can use that as well, since you already have one of those chips in there now.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Yes, both details in the manual are correct.

But which one is better the PC3200 or PC2700 since I have both and I will replace both to 1GB each. 

second, if I'm willing to upgrade the processor, to which type is the maximum upgrade? Core2duo? i3?

That is just my wild expectations... 😄

Thx again! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The best processor you can upgrade to would be the Intel Pentium M 745 (1.8-GHz).

I would go with the PC3200 memory, because it runs at 400 MHz (the same as the processor's FSB).

The PC2700 memory only runs at 333 MHz, so you are being robbed of 66 MHz of memory speed with the PC2700 memory chip in there now.

HP Recommended

Great!!

Thx a lot mate. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.