Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

I want to buy a Probook, and I need to connect 2 monitors to it via an USB hub (under Linux). As far as I understand, this will only work with USB type C. Now, I found two nearly same Probooks 430 G8 (only the processors differ minimally, i.e. i7-1136 vs i7-1165), one [content removed] (a shop for students and univ. staff) and the other directly at the german HP shop [content removed]

On the first link they say the notebook has "2x USB Type-A USB 3.2 Gen-1" and "1x Type-C USB 3.2 Gen-1 (5GBit/s, DisplayPort ALT-Modus 1.2, Power Delivery)", while on the HP shop page they say "2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5 Gbit/s Signalrate (with load function / power supply)" only, no type C. But on the pictures both notebooks have the same connection slots on both sides. I thought that must be an error on the HP shop page, but I'm not sure as it seems like they write the specs. down exactly, for this Probook 440 G8 here e.g. on the same HP shop they say it has even "3 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5 Gbit/s Signalrate (with load function / power supply)", but again no USB type C - and one can indeed see the 3 type A slots on the pictures (but one can see a USB type C slot again, too).

I'm very confused, would be thankful if someone could help me. Do all Probooks have USB type C? And can I always connect a USB hub there in order to connect 2 monitors?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@C_F_Gauss 

I don't know which generation you are talking about. The latest generation is 8 with following options

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06955072

which shows machines have

• (1) USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (Power delivery, DisplayPort 1.2)
  • (3) USB 3.1 Gen 1 port (1 charging; 1 powered port)
  • (1) HDMI 1.4b (cable sold separately)
  • (1) RJ-45/Ethernet port
  • (1) Headphone/microphone combo jack
  • (1) AC power input port

Back to your question "Do all Probooks have USB type C? And can I always connect a USB hub there in order to connect 2 monitors?" My answer is: Yes, this USB-C port supports video out. You can connect to a second external monitor using USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to DP  (compatible USB-C to DP cable) and you can also daisy chain one more monitor.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. Then there are obviously errors in the specifications of G8 notebooks on the official german HP shop, as they do not list the USB type C slot.

Edit: why do they remove a link to the official german HP shop?? (at least the 3rd link was left, also to the official german HP shop, one can clearly see the description is wrong (under "Technische Daten > mehr anzeigen"), as there is no USB type C slot listed, but 3 USB type A only)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.