Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13t-ae000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One fan actually NOT running.

I love my Spectre x360 13t-ae000 but after about 8 months of use it began to overheat and get the error about system fan (90b).

The fan on the left (when facing the keyboard & screen) does NOT run when the PC gets hot. That's pretty easy to know by running a finger over the vent and feeling/listening to air movement obstruction.

The fan on the right DOES come on. I paid a highly respected tech company to come investigate. Both fans were replaced. Still the left fan does not run when the right one does.

I think it is not the fan that's the problem.

I currently have  changed Processor power management settings to have cooling policy "passive" and Max processor state to "75%". Also running an app that puts it to sleep when the temperature exceeds 90C.

I followed all suggestions with no success. Fans & vents were not dirty, it was absolutely  pristine inside;  updated Bios, did a hard reset, etc. However the error message is correct in this case.

It was just out of warranty by the time I had the problem as I didn't use it more than to get it out of the box and make sure it worked when I bought it.. then was unable to use it for 6 months.

What should I do now? I use this PC for travelling, 3-4 months at a time. It's essential. Should I send it to the landfill?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you using a consumer PC for business use?

I suggest that you update the BIOS, chipset and  also  the Intel platform ME firmware. See the link below.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/mo...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico!

Thanks for the assistance!

The Bios was already up to date, but I checked again anyway. Updated the chipset and Intel platform ME firmware.  Still get the fan error 90B on startup and have to override it. No change. Still overheats. Still only the fan on the right comes on when the PC gets hot.

I reset the Bios / System Configuration / Fan Always On to Enabled. But the fan does not come on until the PC gets hot, then only the right side fan starts spinning.

I'm using this PC for my personal business and very light business. Since I travel nearly all the time and all my personal business is handled online, I need a small ultralight, fully functional PC to carry with me. This one is perfect, except that I'm afraid it will fail due to the overheating!

Recently most of the time I've spent using the PC is in trying to discover how to get it fixed!

HP Recommended

Identical situation. Same model number, just out of warranty, tried same solutions, same fan not working. Ever find a solution?

HP Recommended

Have not yet found a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.