Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 15-cs0997na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a new laptop and it is performing well but the noise it is producing is far too loud. It sounds like an old fan but the HDD is SSD so after doing some searching it sounds like coil whine. It is there pretty much most of hte time nad when active, pulses up and down so is extremely offputting. Can someone please help?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LingChung
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

When heat builds up, the fan spins faster to remove the excess heat and thus makes more noise Notebook computers have vents in the bottom and sides to remove heat, allowing air to flow through the case. 
Firstly, update BIOS: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Next: Use the following steps to identify corrupt processes that might be consuming CPU time.

The screens vary slightly depending on your version of Windows. You will still see a Processes tab and CPU column.

1. Close all open Programs and save your work.

2. Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete, and then click Start Task Manager or Task Manager, depending on your version of Windows, to open Windows Task Manager.

Figure: Opening Windows Task Manager

Opening Windows Task Manager
  3. Select the Processes tab, and then to sort the processes by CPU load, click the CPU column header.

Figure: Processes tab

Processes tab with the CPU column header selected
  4. Look through the list for suspect processes.

5. To find more information about a process, search the Internet using the process name that displays in the Windows Task Manager. Look for information that mentions the issue through other reports and suggests steps for resolving the issue.

And, also refer to this Article regarding Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. This is not related to a process. Its a brand new machine and use SSD storage so there should be no fans involved. This is just the general noise that us tyer6all the time. 

HP Recommended

@LingChung
I am glad to know that you managed to figure out its a normal noise. Please reach out again for any further assistance.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I still don't think the noise level is normal and is really, really annoying. Its like bad tinnitus!

HP Recommended

@LingChung

This sounds like an issue with the internal components, I would recommend shipping the unit in for physical diagnosis will resolve this issue. 

In order to check the available service options for your laptop contact HP support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI LingChung,

Good Evening..!!

Any further progress/update on your issue?. Whether the issue is fixed by the Hardware team a@hp?.

I'm too facing the same coil-whine issue in my brand new pavilion 14. Please help with the process you followed and the results pls.

Regards,

Sarat M

HP Recommended

Hi. No not really. I ended up turnung the fan off as it was effectively on all the time. It now only comes on when required, although still noisy.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.