Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan keeps turning on and off repeatedly, then shutting the laptop down

XN833EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have tried to fix this issue myself for some days now, but there are way too many obstacles, so I decided to write here. My laptop is quite old, from 2011, HP 625 and I haven't used it for almost 4 years now (excluding the time when I installed Windows 10 on it, had Windows 7 originally).
A bit before I went to using my newly bought laptop this one started to do this weird fan thing - turning it on and off, until it shuts down. I have cleaned and changed the thermal paste several times, did this a few days ago as well just in case, but this isn't the case. I got Speccy installed and that tells, that the CPU is at low 60's, so this isn't a thermal problem imo.
I tried to take battery off - didn't fix it. Tried to swap RAM - didn't fix it.
It currently also has a hard drive failure - which I'm aware to replace, but the fan problem is stopping me from running virus programs - I had some viruses on it and I really want to erase them before moving any data from the hard drive. I'm sure, that the old hard drive isn't the issue here?
I'd be really thankful for any kind of help, since I'm currently lost and quite mad at the same time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation