Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce3501na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion 14-ce3501na and the fan makes this weird loud and concerning noise randomly. I don't know why but it does, even on a hard surface. I've also had this problem once on a 14-ce0518sa. I have no idea what it's doing and I'm scared to take it apart as I don't want to break it. Also it vibrates when it happens. It's only a year old and it's not got any other issues. Any help will be appreciated.

Video of it happening

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@Derpmander, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance, and find tips! I reviewed the post about the fan making noise on the computer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Has it always been like this from the time you purchased the computer?
  • Does the laptop shut down due to overheating?
  • Does it freeze or lockup?

Excess heat will cause the fans to run constantly, damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. All of these problems with high power and high heat will cause applications to work slower than normal. One of the main functions of the BIOS is to monitor the temperature and adjust the operating conditions. While the sound of the fan running all the time can be annoying, it may be the first clue that your computer is running as efficiently as possible.

Let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have to cause the issue.

Turn off the computer.

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here to Perform Bios Defaults:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

For starters please perform all the prescribed steps from these links to try and fix the issue- HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Link 2: reducing heat inside the computer: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

I would suggest here is to update the Bios, and Chipset drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link or you can install it from HP Support Assistant.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would recommend you go ahead and run an extensive system test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@Derpmander, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance, and find tips! I reviewed the post about the fan making noise on the computer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Has it always been like this from the time you purchased the computer?
  • Does the laptop shut down due to overheating?
  • Does it freeze or lockup?

Excess heat will cause the fans to run constantly, damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. All of these problems with high power and high heat will cause applications to work slower than normal. One of the main functions of the BIOS is to monitor the temperature and adjust the operating conditions. While the sound of the fan running all the time can be annoying, it may be the first clue that your computer is running as efficiently as possible.

Let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have to cause the issue.

Turn off the computer.

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here to Perform Bios Defaults:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

For starters please perform all the prescribed steps from these links to try and fix the issue- HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Link 2: reducing heat inside the computer: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

I would suggest here is to update the Bios, and Chipset drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link or you can install it from HP Support Assistant.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would recommend you go ahead and run an extensive system test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

The hard reset has worked and it hasn't done it yet, thanks for the help! Also, this only started a while after I purchased it and I don't think overheating is the problem.

HP Recommended

It has happened again but the hard resets work. Looks like I'll have to hard reset my laptop when I use it every morning haha

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.