Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-DA0073WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an HP 15-DA0073WM notebook. I bought it because HP's product information said the RAM is upgradable. Their information says this model ships with 8GB of RAM standard.  The package, system, and every retailer selling it says it ships with 4GB standard. HP's maintenance manual does not include memory information on the i7-8550U model, either. HP recommends purchasing RAM through Crucial.com, whose site claims this model ships with 8GB and supports up to 32GB. HP's Help folks provide the memory information for the 8500U from the Maintenance manual, stating a max of 16GB. The retailers, who are correct on the actual standard RAM, claim the RAM is not even upgradable.

Before dropping money on RAM, who do I trust? Does anyone have any insight into the discrepancies?

Thank you,

Adam

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AdamDestroyed

Two memory module slots (Intel Core processors):

Your manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06147959

MEMEM.PNG

Memory, standard 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

Your specs here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06057185

If you want to you can check yourself.

HP 15-da0000 Laptop PC - Service and Support Media Resource Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/F2789BC1-4C5C-4665-9127-AABB50A91815/pot_frus/pot_fru_frameset-en.h...

Click on Base Enclosure and Memory Module(s)

REO

HP Recommended

I apologise, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my post.

The HP 15-DA0073WM actually ships with 4GB DDR4 SDRAM. The marketing material for this model does also say this. My concern is why everything from HP claims it ships with 8GB standard? The HP documentation also claims it ships with DDR4-2400 when it actually ships with DDR4-2666.

HP does not have maximum memory information for this specific model in any of their documents, and the sources they recommend a user go through to purchase additional RAM have conflicting information on what this model's maximum is. Crucial.com (the primary source HP recommends using) claims it is 32GB, as do several other sources. However, the closest model information available in the HP documentation suggest it is likely 16GB. This is concerning because the hardware configuration in this model (HP 84A6 board, i7-8550U chip, UHD Graphics 620) should actually support a maximum of 32GB.

Obviously, I cannot trust what HP says, because their Support people were clueless in this matter and even insisted I return the laptop to the store for a replacement that should have 8GB standard, even though the laptop is marketed as having 4GB. These discrepancies seem to have led the parts suppliers to also have conflicting information and no one seems to actually know what is going on here. I'm tempted to believe Crucial.com, since they are directly recommended by HP and have been accurate in the past, but when the manufacturer's own information is in conflict with reality, I don't know who to trust.

I'm just curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with this model or more insight into the discrepancies, or a way to find out what the maximum RAM capacity for this model is myself without dropping hundreds of dollars of RAM to test configurations? My search, so far, hasn't provided any concrete answers.

Thank you,

Adam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.