Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Aero 13.3 inch Laptop PC 13-be0000 (3B3W4AV)

Hi there,

my laptop (HP Aero 13 - 13-be0067ur) can't even go near the published battery life from HP (approx. 10 hours). I have tried everything I could think of:

- newest firmware

- battery saving mode in windows

- screen brightness to 30% or even minimum

- battery saving mode, wi-fi and BT off

- sitting only at idle and doing nothing

but every time I see 4h 43m. HWInfo shows a constant battery discharge of 9.252w in idle - every single time, without exception. It goes up, when power is needed, but never down. The same thing goes in Linux mint, which I have also installed.

I've read numerous reviews from 2021 and early 2022, where the reviewers were praising the long battery life, so my only conclusion is, that the reason for this higher power consumption must be the bios. Unfortunately we're not allowed to roll back the bios from 2021, so that remains unconfirmed. But a lots of people over the internet are complaining about the same issue.

I have also seen several reviews (e.g. Notebookcheck), where the total power usage of the system drops to 5W or even 3.5W.

One very interesting thing is that, no matter how high/low the screen brightness is, it doesn't affect the discharge rate of the battery (as mentioned 9.252w) and correspondingly the battery life also doesn't change. So this must be the culprit here. Most likely the display power usage is locked in the bios and isn't allowed to decrease/increase, but it was allowed in the early versions of the bios - up until end of 2021.

So, is there a new bios on the way, which will address the issue? I certainly paid for a 10h laptop, not a 5 hour laptop. and expect a solution.

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @ milengt,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing a power-related issue with your HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cs0xxx. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

Lets' try the below steps:

Update the BIOS, Video card & Chipset drivers:

• Here's the link to download and install the above updates: Click here

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon 

https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC.
  2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

If the issue still persists, then please follow the below steps:

Let's try reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery 

1) In the search box, type, and open “Device Manager”. 

2) Expand “Batteries”. 

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 

4) Click on “Uninstall”. 

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver 

6) Shut down the computer. 

7) Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in. 

😎 When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver. 

9) Go to Device Manager. 

10) Expand Batteries. 

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software". Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller. 

Also, try updating the computer:

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates:

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

This document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

If the issue persists, Let's Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: Check with an alternate battery. HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Rachel571,

sorry, nothing personal, but you cant be serious.

First - you're giving me some predesigned answer for a tottaly different model.

Second - I appreciate you answerimg, but have you even read my post. This is not serious.

Please dig a littl edeeper if you want to help.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Enter the BIOS to see if you can disable off the sleep and charge setting.

Have you check in Services to see what is using the processor cycles when you see the power drain?

What OS do you have installed? Windows 10 or 11?

Do you have the latest BIOS version installed?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-pavilion-aero-13.3-inch-laptop-pc-13-be0000/model/...

• F.14 Rev.A
  • 20.7 MB
  • Dec 11, 2023
  •  
  •  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Enrico,

I have installed the latest bios first thing, when I set up windows (Windows 11 23H2). Its definitely a bios thing, but I wouldn' t call it a bug. It's more of a predesigned behaviour, but very very strange.

Doesn matter if I'm using windows or Linux Mint, the laptop starts at 9,2W batttery discharge, after half an hour it drops to 8,2-8,5w, than after another 30 mins it goes to 7.2, and then to 6.2. Every single time. The same numbers.

There's no constanst changing in power used, like an intel laptop will do. Display brightness doesnt affect the discharge rate at all, which is also weird. It doesnt make a difference if I run you tube video in 480p or 4k60p - discharge rate stays the same for theese 30 min, than lowers itself.

Regarding the services, I monitor my CPU time constatly and it stays at approx. 1-2% in Windows and under 1% in Linux, so it's basycly idling. If I open several tabs in chrome, CPU goes up, but not the battery discharge. It changes in intervals of approx 30 mins.

So, i've ran out of ideas

HP Recommended

Have you run the Windows Battery Report utility to see what that actual condition of you battery is?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have and the battery is at its full capacity.

milengt_0-1709661958816.png

The battery seems ok to me, the discharge rate algorithm is where the problem is, imho.

HP Recommended

That shows a  new battery.

Well, that indicates to me that there is something using power. 

You can troubleshoot it yourself  or have it done by a technician or service engineer.

HP Recommended

Maybe so, but judging by the posts from all the people with the same model who describe their "new battery" life as mediocre at best, I am inclined to think, that this behaviour is intentational, allthough unexplainable, at least to me.

I certainly hope HP will revise the bios settings regarding the power consumption. Its clear, that the laptop can run basic tasks on 6W without a problem. Why the algorithm is using 10w from the start and needs an whole hour or even two to drop down to 6w is boyond me.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.