Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13.5 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 14-ef0000 (3Y838AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Late last year I wrote here about unresponsive warranty service for my Spectre X360 laptop, whose touchpad had stopped working properly. Well, I got it back after a little over a month, with a new touchpad. Great.

Then the problem started again, last month (a couple of months after the previous repair). Once again, the touchpad is either unresponsive or has phantom input while it's not even being touched. So on February 22 I get in touch with HP  Canada and they again send a box for repair and I mail it back to them. The laptop reached them in early March, and now shows up as "part pending" with an expected return date of April 26--more than a two-month turnaround time. I will lose the use of the PC for three months total to fix this.

Never buying an HP product again. It may just be that the HP Canada service centre doesn't stock replacement parts and has to order them from Antarctica, but this might as well not have had a warranty at all. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Possibly your warranty covers a rental laptop.   This has happened before in Canada and a rental has been provided.  Please check with warranty  service people. 

I also notified a moderator here.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know about this option, which isn't mentioned in the warranty terms I've seen. I can actually borrow a laptop from my work to get through--not ideal but I can still do the basics. But I still need my machine back!

HP Recommended

Hi @bar_foo

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your Spectre X360 laptop delay in repair. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1238

HP Support

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Update on this case: I contacted HP again, since I kept notices that the laptop was awaiting a part and the expected date kept changing. It was escalated to a case manager, and the PC finally got back to me this week (just shy of two months since I opened the case). They had fixed one of the problems (with the panel) but it's still displaying the same issue with the touchpad. I emailed and left a voice mail for the case manager, but have not heard back. Other than small claims court, what options do I have? The warranty period ended (while it was sitting in HP's repair depot) but obviously this is still within the 90-day post repair window.

HP Recommended

It continues. I'll summarize, because a lot has happened, but I received the laptop back from HP, and the problem with the touchpad was not fixed. It took over a week to hear back from the case manager, and eventually he approved sending it back to HP again for repair, which I did. I sent a thorough explanation of what was wrong along with links to videos of the problem in action. The technician called because he wasn't able to replicate the issue himself--it's something that happens intermittently, typically after the laptop has been used for a while. He said he left it running for a few days, but didn't observe the problem. And without seeing the problem, he wouldn't attempt a repair. HP Canada sent it back.

Within a couple of days, the problem started again. The touchpad becomes unresponsive or has random input. It happens in Windows, but also in UEFI diagnostics mode, so it can only be a hardware problem.

As soon as I saw the problem again, I recorded a video and emailed it to the escalation manager. That was a week ago. Today I left a voicemail for him. Thus far, no response.

Here is a video of the problem in action, in UEFI diagnostics mode:

This is clearly an issue that is covered under the warranty, that HP has made some attempt to repair but has failed. HP is not responding to my messages. So I don't know what resort I have other than small claims court.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.