Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade my processor in my laptop to a Core i7-2920XM, ive read that all 2nd gen processors are supported but with the higher tdp will it work? 
Link to intel's site: https://ark.intel.com/products/52237/Intel-Core-i7-2920XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3...

My current configuration:Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The BIOS does not block processors in quite so direct a way as the wifi whitelist...it is just that the processor either meets the hardware and firmware parameters of the motherboard or not. That is why sometimes unlisted processors will work. If it was a direct whitelist they never would work.

You can compare any two CPUs with this website:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2640M

The 2860QM is a Quad Core but the clock speed is not much different than you have so any app that is optimized for more than 2 cores will perform much better with the 2860QM...think Photoshop and Adobe Premier...heavy duty content creation apps. Ordinary web browsing and MS Office you would not notice much difference. Games are a mixed bag. Some are optimized for quad cores, most are not.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here's the Manual:

Manual

See p. 33. Top listed processor is the i7-2860QM. Its not likely an i7-2920XM would work but I guess not impossible. 

Still, officially the only advice I can give is: you can be sure one of the CPUs listed in the Manual will work (well, almost sure). 

Post back with any questions. 

HP Recommended

i figured if the watage is the same and the pin layout is the same, the extreme processor may work as long as its not blocked by the bios or something and the motherboard supplies enough power to the processor. 
 Does the bios block processors similarly to it blocking wifi cards?

HP Recommended

also would i see much of a preformance gain between the i7-2640M and the i7-2860QM?

HP Recommended

The BIOS does not block processors in quite so direct a way as the wifi whitelist...it is just that the processor either meets the hardware and firmware parameters of the motherboard or not. That is why sometimes unlisted processors will work. If it was a direct whitelist they never would work.

You can compare any two CPUs with this website:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2640M

The 2860QM is a Quad Core but the clock speed is not much different than you have so any app that is optimized for more than 2 cores will perform much better with the 2860QM...think Photoshop and Adobe Premier...heavy duty content creation apps. Ordinary web browsing and MS Office you would not notice much difference. Games are a mixed bag. Some are optimized for quad cores, most are not.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

I thing so. It's not listed in the service manual, however I have seen on ebay a (bargain) sale for this model with the CPU you mentioned. There was a photo from the BIOS system info page with i7-2920XM listed there.

Note that it might get hot with this CPU.

For comparing performance I use cpubenchmark.net

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.