Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hey all,

i do own a HP OMEN - 17-w209ng and i'd say in good condition ... externally.

Today, i was working with my laptop as usual, when suddenly it lost USB Connection and went completly black afterwards.

As of now, the Laptop does not start up any more.

- Screen completely black

- No noise from the electronics, no fan spinning

- on/off button glows white for ~3s, turns off for a few seconds, turns  on  again and so forth.

- Keyboards light also stays complete black

--> Same behaviour after doing the recommended 15s reset. (Holding the on off button)

--> Doesnt matter if the machine is hooked up to the powerplug or not.

For the moment, it seems completely dead from one second to another. Anyone who could help me here? i'm capable of disassembling the laptop to a certain extent if that helps.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @LNJ94,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP Omen laptop is experiencing a serious hardware issue, possibly related to the power supply or motherboard. Since you've already tried the 15-second reset and the behavior persists, it's likely that a component inside the laptop has failed.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue further.

• Check the power adapter: Make sure the power adapter is working properly by testing it with another device or using a multimeter to check for the correct voltage output.
  • Remove peripherals: Disconnect all external devices, including USB drives, external monitors, and any other peripherals, and then try turning on the laptop again. Sometimes, a faulty peripheral can cause the laptop to fail to boot.
  • Inspect for physical damage: Carefully inspect the laptop for any signs of physical damage, such as cracks, dents, or loose connections. Pay particular attention to the power jack and any exposed wires.
  • Try a hard reset: Disconnect the laptop from power, remove the battery (if possible), and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power. Then, reinsert the battery (if applicable) and try turning on the laptop again.
  • Check for overheating: Overheating can cause laptops to shut down unexpectedly. If the laptop feels excessively hot, let it cool down for a while before attempting to turn it on again.

If you're comfortable with disassembling the laptop, you could also try carefully removing the back cover and inspecting the internal components for any visible signs of damage or loose connections.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hey Alden,

thanks for your reply. 

• Check the power adapter: --> done, 19.5V measured
  • Remove peripherals: --> no peripherals plugged at all (at the time of failure, an USB-SPI Programming adapter was plugging in, i think the Adapter acted as ESD-Conductor to the Laptop)
  • Inspect for physical damage: --> No signs of wear 
  • Try a hard reset: --> no removable battery, but already did hold the button for a minute
  • Check for overheating: didnt recognize any overheating on the outside. might be i use a thermal imager to get a further clue.

Overall it also seems to be a Hardware failure to me, very much likely ESD induced on the USB port in question. Seems to be no other choice than disassembly. and check for clear points of failure. The other option is to just simply throw it away as a whole which is frankly not a good option 😉

I'll keep you updated if i find the time to actually disassemble it, maybe i need some assistance figuring out the parts on the PCBAs.

Thanks alot!

HP Recommended

Hi @LNJ94,

Thank you for your response, 

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.