Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Also, if I may make a suggestion, not necessarily just to you but to anyone following the thread who may be trying something like a processor replacement for the first time. Don't forget to clean the old thermal paste off (if re-using either processor or heatsink) and apply new thermal paste. It is critical and could cause irreparable damage if it's not used. 

Very interested to know the outcome of the repair when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

OK, so I replaced the CPU, the heatsink, and the fan and get the same problem.  Fan doesn't run, CPU heats up and laptop shuts down.  Do I have to replace the motherboard or is there a fuse or relay switch or something that is not detecting the heat to turn on the fan?  Please help because I am about to throw this thing in the garbage.

HP Recommended

The ultimate fix with mine was a motherboard. I brought it back to the computer shop and they re-soldered the video chip. When asked why they didn't just sell me a motherboard, they said they wanted to find a better motherboard that fit my laptop's shell, and it they would have to send the computer back to HP to have the motherboard done, that HP wouldn't just send them one. They said they'd call me when they found one. They never called me back...The second fix lasted 4 months before the same thing happened again. Ordered motherboard from HP with no problem through an exchange order, assuming I'd get a new board for less money (Around $330 instead of $430), and just return the old. It ended up being a refurbished board, a dead ringer for mine other than a different supplier name on it. The replacement was well... daunting. A Pavillion DV7 Laptop has a ton of screws you have to remove and it's like a big puzzle. I found a few screws missing from the computer shop working on it.

When I finally got to the board, I removed it from the base of the computer, transfered the processor, applied the supplied thermal paste to the top of the processor and as extra measure the top of the video chip, installed the fan/heat sink and re-assembled the puzzle. Turned it on, had to fix the connection for the screen, had a media test failure error message which was later fixed by changing a BIOS setting relating to the boot order, but it otherwise was working again.

Strange thing though, although the board was an exact twin to mine, it was from a different model Pavillion DV7. When I used the  HP Support site's auto identify feature, it identified it as one with a different disc drive and different but similar processor. No big thing, after almost 2 years on this board, it still works. Too bad most of the parts on my DV7 are discontinued now...

HP Recommended

@susieq13 if the fan is not running, the issue is either with the fan itself or the motherboard. Since you just replaced the fan, it's likely the motherboard. As you suggested, it could be a relay or sensor and there are motherboard repair "companies" out there that provide services like that. I don't have any experience with them to be able to recommend them or advise against them.

I think if it were my computer or a computer I was fixing for a friend, I would just put the money toward a new computer. Your situation is a little different though since you've already replaced the other parts. It's really up to you at this point. I would say research the cost of motherboard repair and compare it to the cost of a new motherboard. If I knew which product number you have (on a label on the bottom, abreviated P/N), I could provide with HP and third party links and prices for a replacement motherboard.

HP Recommended

@tbird100636 Thanks for sharing your experience. I apologize for the confusion with the auto identify tool. Sometimes different series, model and product numbers will use all of the same parts as another model except for one or two particular parts. This is due to manufacturer contracts or availability or region and other things like that. So the motherboard in your computer may fit a few other models as well. 

Even though the models may share some parts, there are still so many different brands and types and versions out there that no part can really be expected to remain available in stock for much longer than 4 years. HP supports (hardware and software) computers for 5 years. Beyond that point, sometimes parts and software (recovery discs) can be found through 3rd party companies. (Drivers, however, are available for download online. They just may not be updated beyond 5 years.) 

If there are any specific parts you're looking for, let me know. I can usually get a part number and Google it to find third parties that may carry it. 🙂

HP Recommended

Same problem here. I bought my HP dv7-4157cl in late 2010. It is 2 and 1/2 years old. I used it maybe 3x a week or 6 hours total/week. With no warning, after no physical damage, and careful gentle treatment - it just decided it was time to stop working this morning. And I am assuming from this and other threads that the CPU is fried. Of course the warranty for HP products is about 20 minutes. If you go over their warranty period by a day - they won't talk to you. All corporations are like this now.

My options? Replace the CPU for several hundred dollars MORE - after 2 and 1/2 years??  Nope. I think the answer is just stop buying these poor quality, mass produced, HP products which are diabolically engineered for planned obsolescence. From my perusal of the internet - this is FAR MORE than just a limited nuisance related to HP Pavilion dv7 laptops. This is the expected outcome and the COMMON EXPERIENCE of an HP laptop owner.

Prove me wrong: DOES ANYONE OUT THERE OWN A HP dv7 LAPTOP WHICH IS STILL WORKING AFTER 5 YEARS?

Each critical element in the computer is designed and engineered to have a functional lifetime of between 3-5 years. This is Planned Obsolescence. YOU are programmed to buy a new computer every 3-5 years.

I had an HP printer that just stopped working when it hit 3 years. Can't get it fixed - you must simply go buy another one because they are OH SO CHEAP - until you see what the short-lived ink cartRidges cost. That is yet another diabolical conspiracy by HP to defraud the consumer. We as consumers are quite stupid. And we don't stop to consider all of this computer waste ending up in the landfill and in the environment.

I cannot believe the LACK OF REASONABLE expectation that an HP laptop would remain viable for at least 5 years!!!!

Never, EVER BUYING AN HP PRODUCT AGAIN

HP Recommended

Or you can choose to buy HP Bussiness line of Laptops whch are a bit more expensive but come with an antiglare screen and way better componentes than the ones for home use, I have a 6530B Bussiness class laptop that I've had since 2007 and is still going strong, replace the battery once and that is about it.

HP Recommended

It is very, very rare that a CPU goes bad. Very rare.

I have one of these in my shop, and fixed it by reheating/reseating the graphics chip. Just seems like most of the DV series have this problem, all the way back to DV2.  Takes a fair amount of technical experience and special devices to reseat the chip, so you may have to shop around and locate a shop that will do it.

HP Recommended

I'm working on a laptop for a friend and it was just out of warranty.  I replaced the motherboard and cpu onthe Pavilion G7.  Good news is that the blinking lights went away and seems to act normal except there is no video.  You talk about re-soldering this connection?  How and where do I do that?  or should i give up?

HP Recommended

I found a tech here locally that fixed this issue for me but it wasn't the video chip or the CPU, there is another chip, is the I/O controller, is a small processor that is close to where the video chip is located, this chip controls the Input and Output for the DVD, the Hard Drive and other peripherals,  the tech just replaced or reballed this chip and voila! problem solved!!

Extremely happy with the guy, you can also ship the laptops to him and he will work on them and will ship them back, he is in Redwood City CA of someone needs his services. Is waaaaay way cheaper than buying a new board and replacing the CPU and GPU processors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.