Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi there, I recently turned on my HP Pavillion Power laptop model 15-cb059nr after three years of no use. It tool a awhile to start up but I finally got in but I'm unsure of where to start? how do I know something needs an update? or if the battery life is good? Should I install an anti-virus right away if I'm not sure if the laptop is still in good condition?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Hernandez_13,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It's great that you're taking steps to ensure your laptop is in good condition after three years of not being used. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started.

• Check for Updates: Start by checking for system updates. On Windows, you can do this by clicking on the Start menu, selecting Settings (the gear icon), then Update & Security, and finally clicking on Check for updates. This ensures your operating system is up to date with the latest security patches and improvements.
  • Battery Health: To check the battery health, you can usually find a battery report feature in Windows. You can generate a battery report by opening a Command Prompt (search for "cmd" in the Start menu, right-click, and select "Run as administrator"), then type the following command: powercfg /batteryreport. This generates a battery report which you can view by navigating to the file location provided in the command prompt.
  • Software Updates: After updating the system, check for updates for your installed software. Many programs have built-in update mechanisms, or you can check our HP websites for the latest versions.
  • Antivirus Software: It's always a good idea to have antivirus software installed, especially if you're unsure about the condition of the laptop. Windows Defender comes pre-installed on Windows and provides decent protection, but you can also install a third-party antivirus solution if you prefer. Popular options include Avast, AVG, and Bitdefender.
  • Performance Check: Once everything is updated, you can perform a basic performance check by opening some programs, browsing the web, and observing how the system responds. If everything seems slow or unresponsive, you may need to further optimize the system or consider hardware upgrades.
  • Data Backup: Since it's been a while since you last used the laptop, it's a good idea to back up any important data you have on it. You can use an external hard drive, cloud storage services like Google Drive or Dropbox, or even a USB flash drive to create a backup of your files.

By following these steps, you can ensure that your HP Pavilion Power laptop is in good condition and ready for use.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.