Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-2105ss
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I'm wondering if I can upgrade my cpu and I can't find the answer anywhere.. 

I have g6-2105 and I'm running windows 10

Currently I have an 2.7GHz AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M with AMD Radeon HD 7520G, (8 GB ram upgraded from 4)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes and yours is one of the best models to upgrade. An AMD A10-4600M is a dropin upgrade.

Service manual

See pages 68-73 for "how to". I normally am not enthusiastic about processor upgrades on older laptops as it is rarely worth the time and expense. In the case of the AMD A-series, however, the processors are inexpensive (relatively) and since the video is rendered on the cpu chip, you get a bump in processor clock speed and video power. Don't get me wrong, the upgrade will not make it into a gaming machine, but the improvement will be noticeable and is worth the effort and relatively low cost. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A10-4600M-AM4600DEC44HJ-NOTEBOOK-LAPTOP-CPU-APU-PROCESSOR-/272751734940?...

As I said just replace the current A6 with this...use good thermal compound, and clean up in there. Reuse all parts other than the CPU itself. You go from 2 cores to 4 and video goes from 7520G to 7660G...should increase frame rates in modest games.

If you need more help post back.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can upgrade the processor to:

AMD A10-4600M processor (3.2 GHz/2.3 GHz, 1600 MHz/4.0 MB L2 cache, DDR3, quad core, 35W)        683046-001

AMD A8-4500M processor (2.8 GHz/1.9 GHz, 1600 MHz/4.0 MB L2 cache, DDR3, quad core, 35W)           683048-001

On page 72 of the service manual you can see the various steps to upgrade the processor. Remember to use quality thermal paste and pads.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03277661

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

HP Recommended

Yes and yours is one of the best models to upgrade. An AMD A10-4600M is a dropin upgrade.

Service manual

See pages 68-73 for "how to". I normally am not enthusiastic about processor upgrades on older laptops as it is rarely worth the time and expense. In the case of the AMD A-series, however, the processors are inexpensive (relatively) and since the video is rendered on the cpu chip, you get a bump in processor clock speed and video power. Don't get me wrong, the upgrade will not make it into a gaming machine, but the improvement will be noticeable and is worth the effort and relatively low cost. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A10-4600M-AM4600DEC44HJ-NOTEBOOK-LAPTOP-CPU-APU-PROCESSOR-/272751734940?...

As I said just replace the current A6 with this...use good thermal compound, and clean up in there. Reuse all parts other than the CPU itself. You go from 2 cores to 4 and video goes from 7520G to 7660G...should increase frame rates in modest games.

If you need more help post back.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi! I have a question: This processor is the same as the one you showed me and I can use it? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-laptop-processor-CPU-APU-QUAD-CORE-A10-4600M-2-3Ghz-Socket-/122678440409...

HP Recommended

Yeah but I also linked you to an eBay auction that is the same thing and cheaper but that one would work. 

HP Recommended

The one you linked me it's 30$ + 35$ shipping and the one that I found it's 40$ and has free shiping, that's why I asked if that one works too. Thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

Sorry your English was so good I thought you were from US. Enjoy. 

HP Recommended

Hi! I've upgraded my laptop with that CPU, the difference is huge! Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.