Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP Pavilion x 360 Convertible laptop. Love it. However, I have noticed that the fan runs loud and more constantly.  This laptop is a 128 GB SSD, so I know the noise I am hearing is not the drive. I have another (Lenovo) 128 GB SSD laptop and it NEVER makes this noise. I'm thinking about returning this laptop unless someone can tell me if this is normal or not. 

PLEASE do not ask me to update the BIOS. When I first turned on this laptpp, the system supposedly updated the entire system. This should not be the issue on a new laptop that I just purchased on 11/25/2017.

Thank you! 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey there! @JeanLucPicard, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the cooling fan on your PC is making a loud noise and runs constantly.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Do you get any cooling fan error on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the cooling fan on your PC is making a loud noise and runs constantly.

Update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

You can update the drivers using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

This error indicates that a problem exists related to the heat removal system. One of two possible events is occurring:
The system fan is not spinning or not spinning properly.
The temperature inside the case is too high and the fan cannot spin fast enough to remove the heat.
This error message occurs to help prevent costly damage to the computer.

Also, Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

Also, try running a system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware components on your laptop are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the diagnostics test passes it is a problem with the operating system. Try performing a recovery from F11 (System partition) on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing recovery on your PC.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, it is a hardware issue with your laptop.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the feedback but this is a standard response to what seems to be an ongoing issue with these laptops.  My Lenovo 128 GB SSD laptop makes zero - and I mean, ZERO - noise when I run it.  The BIOS has nothing to do with this. 

Anyone else care to chime in??

HP Recommended

@JeanLucPicard, thanks for your quick response and time. 

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I had asked you to share the product number of your PC to assist you better, can you please share the details.

And I had asked you to update the BIOS on your PC, Why did not you update the BIOS?

BIOS update can fix or enhance aspects of a computer's performance, or provide support for newly installed hardware. 

The update fixes a problem with your computer.
The update enhances your computer's performance in the desired way.
You are planning to change the operating system, processor, or other feature(s), and the current BIOS version will not support the new configuration.
An HP Support Agent, or an HP support document, recommends that you download and install a specific updated BIOS.
Use one of the sets of steps below to update the BIOS on your computer.

Please try updating the BIOS on your PC.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Have you had any luck with the fan noise problem?
HP Recommended

I am also having this problem. A constant and loud fan noise. I am concerned the cooling fan is loose, as when a turn the laptop around 180 degrees the fan stops and starts, as if it is struggling to remain in place. 
I only had this laptop delivered yesterday 30.11.17 and was not expecting to have this sort of problem.

I love everything else about it so far except this and need to know what is best to do.

Many thanks,

Serena

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. I updated the BIOS and nothing changed.

I bought this laptop in September. I do not understand why the fan is so loud and the laptop is overheating when I'm using a SINGLE app! I think this issue may require a recall as I do not know other methods to fix it. It's embarrassing to bring such a noisy laptop to class or the library. 

Please fix this problem. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with my HP Pavilion x360 Convertible Laptop.

My laptop's specific model is the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-ba008TU.

The fan is quite loud, even when I'm only doing lightweight activities. 

When I updated my BIOS to try and fix this, it did NOTHING, and I repeat - NOTHING.

HP needs to create another BIOS update (or whoever does that stuff) to help tackle the fan noise problem because it's out of proportion.

Also, does my type of laptop come with the HP Active Pen out of the box or was it an accessory?

Because if it came with the box, I lost it and it's probably in the bin with all the boxes and bubble wrap.

Well, then again it could be my hard drive or something... I'll check anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same issue for a newly bought HP Pavilion x360 Convertible laptop. Not only the fan is loud by just keeping the PC on (without running any program), the battery is heating too fast!

Also, I fully charged the battery and leave it for a few days. When I turn on, the battery is left with 75%! Never did I have such issue with any of my previous laptops, please help!!!

HP Recommended

Hi JessLynnJL, It’s too bad you are having the same problem with fan noise. I don’t understand it at all. I read about the fan noise and seems to be an issue when the laptop is loading things.  I had another HP Pavillion before this one. It did the same thing. It did last 10 years. But I thought when I bought this new one all those issues would be fixed. My old one I had to turn off and leave unplugged while I was away in fear that it would overheat and burn down my house. My family all have Apple products and have no issues. But they are too small for me. I won’t ever buy another HP. Also I don’t like the way that you can’t order your pictures. You can’t move a picture in a different location. Apple products blow HP away. HP actually went backwards in technology and not forward. No one at HP will contact you either. 

Very disappointed.  Sorry!!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.