10-13-2019 09:56 AM
Turned on laptop today and half of keyboard not working. I believe this is due to issues re Windows 10 auto updates which can cause issues re hardware, in this instance my laptop keyboard. How do I fix this as urgently need to finish work on a client submission tomorrow?
Many thanks, Garrick
10-15-2019 05:39 PM
@Garrick2, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Have you tried connecting an external keyboard and check if that works?
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
- In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
- Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
- Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
- Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
- Restart the notebook. Right-click Start, select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
- Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.
If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
Let us run a test on the Keyboard
1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. Perform Component test > Keyboard. Share the result on your next post.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee