Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-1255sg, A3A15EA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi 🙂

I currently have 6GB installed on my laptop and would like to upgrade but am not sure as to how much is possible. See below for my specs and what I found so far.

These are my specs:

- Model: HP Pavilion g6-1255sg
- Prod.: A3A15EA
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2430M @ 2.4 GHz
- Motherboard: HP 166F (CPU1)
- RAM: 6GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

That's what I've tried so far:

HP's maintenance and service guide for my laptop says on page 3 up to 6GB is possible:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02968997.pdf 

But I'm pretty sure that I read in another official HP document that up to 8GB (or even 16GB) is possible. However, I can't find that document again. Also, a system scan with crucial's scanning tool says up to 8GB is possible.

ram_screenshot.PNG

I'd appreciate any help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am certain because if one slot can take a 4 GB chip, so can the other one.

I have never met a notebook yet where one slot was limited to a lesser amount of memory than the other slot.

I would get PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) memory, and I have added different brands to existing memory.

But that is up to you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

8 GB is the max.

I don't know why HP has the max set at only 6.

So, you should just have to remove the 2 GB chip in there now and replace it with a 4 GB chip.

You will benefit in two ways...more memory of course, but also...

The memory will run in the higher performing dual data rate (DDR) mode. 

Right now with 6 GB, it is running in the lower performing single data rate (SDR) mode.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=E_aPaj5QkmM&feature=emb_logo

You may have heard that games and applications perform better with dual channel memory compared to single channel memory, but why is this the case, and how much of an improvement can you expect? In this comparison I've benchmarked 16 different games in a laptop at all setting levels as well as 9 ...
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer and the interesting video!

It's good to hear once more that my machine should support 8GB. Can I ask you if you also have a source for that or how come you're certain about the max size?

When upgrading, should I get two 4GB sticks that are exactly the same instead of just adding another 4GB? I read somewhere that having two different sticks could lead to problems. Also, the 4GB stick I currently have is no longer produced and is a PC3-10700 (667 MHz). I would probably have to add a PC3-10600.

Many thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am certain because if one slot can take a 4 GB chip, so can the other one.

I have never met a notebook yet where one slot was limited to a lesser amount of memory than the other slot.

I would get PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) memory, and I have added different brands to existing memory.

But that is up to you.

HP Recommended

Great 🙂 Thank you very much again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.