Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 17-by3065st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can my SSD from my HP laptop (model 17-by3065st) be mounted externally in order to duplicate my internal SSD to it?

I need to backup the internal 128 GB SSD to one of the same type so that if it ever dies like my old one did, I can just put the spare one that's duplicated into the internal port for the hard drive, and it will at least restore my computer to the last duplicated version.  The only identifying numbers on the internal SSD is "CV8 128 SATA"   I've attached a photo so you can look at it to see if you can find any identifying features or info on the label on it to help me figure it out. I also have added a photo that shows the pug in end so you can see how many contacts it has and the configuration.

Any help is appreciated.

P1150229 label side SN removed .jpgP1150220 cc pins numbered from label side.jpgP1150221 number of pins.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Hugh_Lett 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06632886

It does NOT have internal SSD at all. But you can ALWAYS use external USB adapter to mount M.2 SSD . For example

https://computers.scorptec.com.au/computer/M.2-Usb     (the second one on the list)

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Hugh_Lett 

This enclosure supports both SATA (what your pictures show), and NVMe.

Amazon.com: SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SATA SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E ...

Your notebook does support NVMe SSD's which are approximately 3x - 5x faster than the SATA M.2 drives you have there.

HP Recommended

Yes it does. It's a hybrid that HP tried. It has both a 128 GB internal SSD that contains the Windows operaating system and program files, and then also has a 1TB  internal SATA  HDD for storing data.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.