Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys, so I have a HP Gaming Pavillion 15 with GTX 1050 and 8GB ram that I am soon upgrading to 16GB whilst installing a HDD drive also. 

When I am working a lot on the laptop, especially if I am gaming it of course gets quite hot. But some times it feels REALLY hot mostly just above the keyboard but after sometime the whole thing will warm up. I have the best rated Havit cooling pad from Amazon and this helps I am sure but it will still heat up. 

So how hot is too hot? I am doing normal stuff the laptop is made for so can I just trust that it can handle the heat as it should be no real surprise. Or am I killing it with the heat and if so what should I do?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Temps are fine. The little fire icon can be adjusted in the speedfan settings. Temps up to the low 90s are nothing to worry about so if you are getting mid to high 70s on the CPU and mid-80s on the GPU after 15 minutes of gaming that is perfectly OK. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Install a little program called speedfan which will give an exact temperature. We can't give very good advice based on subjective hot vs. very hot. 

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Every laptop I have owned for the last 10+ years has speedfan:

Example of speedfan GUIExample of speedfan GUI

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this

is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi sorry for the long delay I had to find the time to get a game on, so I will add two pictures to this the first is the laptop just sitting with nothing running and the second was taken just after about 15 minutes of playing the Witcher 3 on low settings.

All the time my Havitt cooling pad was on under the laptop with good ventilation. 

The laptop seemed to take the low setting very easy so I might consider switching to medium, however I guess that will only make the heat much higher...

When I did an update on some drivers the other day my fans went mega fast like a hairdryer for some time, they never go that fast when I game it would be nice if they could though as maybe it would help!

What are your thoughts?

Heat.PNGHeat3.PNG

HP Recommended

Temps are fine. The little fire icon can be adjusted in the speedfan settings. Temps up to the low 90s are nothing to worry about so if you are getting mid to high 70s on the CPU and mid-80s on the GPU after 15 minutes of gaming that is perfectly OK. 

HP Recommended

Fantastic that’s great to know thanks a lot!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.