Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
CK066tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i want to upgrade ssd and hdd on my HP CK066tx...

currently 128gb m.2 sata ssd + 1tb sata ssd is installed....

i want to replace these with
500gb m.2 sata ssd + 2tb sata ssd......

but according to hp manual and costumre care for my laptop
i can only upgrade to these dual drive configurations :

● 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-/7.0-mm hard drive + 128-GB, M.2, SATA solid-state drive with TLC
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-/7.0-mm hard drive + 256-GB, M.2 2280, SATA-3, PCIe, MVMe, solid-state drive with
TLC
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-/7.0-mm hard drive + 256-GB, M.2 2280, PCIe, MVMe, solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-/7.0-mm hard drive + 128-GB, M.2, SATA solid-state drive with TLC
● 500-GB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-/7.0-mm hard drive + 128-GB, M.2, SATA solid-state drive with TLC

i dont understand if there is port for m.2 and sata why i cant just upgrade to any storage size i want ?
sir is there really any limit like this? or i can upgrade to the configuration i want as mentioned above... kindly reply.....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You see right on the first page:

Maintenance and Service Guide IMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP authorized service providers only.

So you have to understand the intended audience for the Manual. Its HP Service people. So the manual catalogues the configurations HP offers from the factory. It is not intended to define that maximum possible configuration and you are correct. It has an M.2 slot in addition to the installed mechanical hard drive. And the M.2 slot can support EITHER a SATA or NVME M.2 and there is no capacity limit other than your budget and the product available on the market. So no problem. Install a 2 TB SATA 2.5 inch SSD in lieu of the hard drive and a 500 gig M.2 (you may want to consider an NVME instead of SATA here). 

Start on p. 31 to remove the rear cover and inside is this:

red square is 2.5 bay and blue oval is M.2 slotred square is 2.5 bay and blue oval is M.2 slot

Please open the laptop before buying an M.2 SSD to be 100% sure the slot is there. Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

yes sir there is m.2 slot i've checked..... and thanku for your reply 

just one last question
i was checking threads and saw your reply :

PCIe/NVME M.2 disks have caused lots of compatibility issues with HP laptops. I looked up the ADATA XPG SX6000 series and it is a new controller:

The new drive is among the first in the industry to use Realtek’s RTS5760 controller.

The 15-ck000 series can accept PCIe/NVME disks but a lot of folks read the specs and conclude it can accept any PCIe/NVME M.2 disk and that is proving to be sadly incorrect.  ( thread link https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-Laptop-Installing-NVMe-Not... ) 

SO I am planning to upgrade to the following :
Samsung 860 evo  M.2 sata  or Samsung 960 evo nvme
(as u suggested)
 And
Samsung 2TB 860 evo sata....

sir can u please check if the controllers and everything of these 3 ssd's is compatible with my laptop hp pavilion ck066tx....

HP Recommended

Those threads you are referring to are a couple years old and technology marches on. The problems were found in 6th gen Intel Core units. Yours is an 8th gen processor system and NVME compatibility issues have largely disappeared. I just personally upgraded an HP laptop with an 8th gen Intel Core processor and used a Samsung 970 Evo M.2 which worked flawlessly. Posts about compatibility problems were common 2-3 years ago and now almost unheard of. So definitely get the Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus if you can find it and if not post back and we can help you find a current gen NVME M.2 available in your location. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.