Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17
I am trying to get administrator rights on my laptop, every time It asks..... do you allow this app to make changes, there is no Yes button. I have tried every You tube video and nothing works. I just got this laptop in November now HP wants $50 to help me.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@ ShellyA1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that the computer is asking for administrator rights,

May I know the Operating system using?

May I know the model number of the notebook?

Please share the info I can share the troubleshooting step to resolve the issue 

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I had to call HP and pay them $60 to do a factory reset on my laptop, they said my laptop had been corrupted. And they think it came from updating. I would think twice about buying another HP product. I paid $500 for this laptop in December and they can't help me with a problem without paying for it. Thank you for trying to help me though.

HP Recommended

Thank you for waiting! I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send us a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

HP Recommended

@ShellyA1 

I hate to be the provider of bad news -- but SCAMS like this are the primary reason HP took down all listings for phone support in the U.S.

If you got the number online, you got SCAMMED by folks claiming to be HP -- as HP does not do this to their customers.

If someone called you, that is also a SCAM, because HP does not call their customers with offers to make changes to their PCs in return for money.

You should ALREADY have Admin rights on your PC -- that is how it comes preloaded from the factory.  Go into Settings --> Accounts and under your account, it should say "Administrator". If it does not, your PC has been "hacked" -- most likely by the folks you talked to.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did not get the phone number online I got the phone number off of the paper that came with my HP laptop. I called them three different times and all three times they told me that there would be a fee to help me get administrator rights to my laptop, that my 90 days had run out for my free support, and that if I needed help there would be a fee, and it also states that in the papers that I got along with my laptop, and that I  must have a corruption from downloading updates that I did not have a virus. I could not do anything without giving administrative rights which I did not have.

HP Recommended

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service or support options for your computer. 

HP Chat Support Team

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.