Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0096nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all. This is always frustrating to figure out every year. 2 years ago I bought a 256GB SSD for my laptop, and ofc, I'm running out of space now and need to upgrade, again. So I need help finding a 2TB SSD for my laptop, that way I'm future-proofed for a while, hopefully.. lol So The interface is NVM express. The Standard is NVM express 1.3 and the transfer mode is PCIe 3.0 x2. Thanks to anyone who's able to help me out in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1 of the service manual for the model series indicates that HP only offered NVMe SSD's up to 1 TB in the model series.

OMEN by HP 15-dc0000 Laptop PC series - Setup and User Guides | HP® Support

While that is usually only what HP offered in the model series, and I can't think of any reason why a 2 TB NVMe SSD wouldn't work, I can't 100% guarantee that it will.

If I were shopping for a 2 TB NVMe SSD, I'd go with the Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB, which is both good performing and reasonably priced.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1 of the service manual for the model series indicates that HP only offered NVMe SSD's up to 1 TB in the model series.

OMEN by HP 15-dc0000 Laptop PC series - Setup and User Guides | HP® Support

While that is usually only what HP offered in the model series, and I can't think of any reason why a 2 TB NVMe SSD wouldn't work, I can't 100% guarantee that it will.

If I were shopping for a 2 TB NVMe SSD, I'd go with the Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB, which is both good performing and reasonably priced.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb...

HP Recommended

Thank you Very much, it's not very easy finding compatible  hardware the older this laptop gets lol. It needs to have The B and M keys thou. Every model I've had so far is a Western Digital PC SN520 SDAPNUW M.2 2280 PCI-Express 3.0 x2 NVMe Internal SSD Solid State Drive for my laptop

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The notebook supports NVMe SSD's and I don't see any reason why the WD Blue drive wouldn't work.

Your notebook's M.2 slot only has one key, not two.

A drive with two notches fits in a one key slot.

I don't know of any HP notebook that has a M.2 slot with two keys unless it was one of the first ones made that supported SATA M.2 SSD's.

HP Recommended

This is what the original SSD looks like, I just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes ^^; and again I only got 3x2 not 3x4 PCIes-l1600.jpg

HP Recommended

So would this work even if it only has one key or whatever it's called? lol crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/hp-omen-15-dc0096nr

HP Recommended

Hi:

I now understand why you believed that was the only type of drive that you can use in your notebook.

But if you go to chapter 3, page 25 of the service manual, you will see the 3 NVMe drives and part numbers HP offered in the model series.

The largest capacity drive they offered was this one:

512 GB    L24341-001 

When you google that part number, this is the model and description of the drive.

HP L24341-001 - 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive - Drive Solutions

One notch, PCIe 3.0 x 4.

So, if this is the Crucial drive that you are asking me about, yes it should work just fine as long as there isn't some unknown reason why it wouldn't.

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD | CT2000P3SSD8 | Crucial.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.