Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 640 14 inch G9 Notebook PC (67W59AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

In my personal laptop (HP elitebook 640 14inch G9) Camera was working fine, facial recognition was working fine as well. Suddenly it stopped working, I could not figure out if it's a Windows Update or not. So, I checked such as drivers in Device manager etc... Camera was in the hidden devices, but it did not work at all. Then, I did a restore as well. Then I could not see the Camera device in Hidden devices as well.

Then I started looking into more deeper level investigations. So, I checked the BIOS, in the Integrated devices list, the Camera is missing now.

I have another HP Elitebook (Using for my office work), in that BIOS I can clearly see that Integrated Camera listed there. So, I believe that has to be the same in my personal Laptop as well. Does anyone have any idea how could such an Integrated Device go out of BIOS as well?

FYI, I don't close the LID much even, so hard to think if it's a problem with the wiring as well.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MaxSabo wrote:

in Device manager etc... Camera was in the hidden devices, but it did not work at all. Then, I did a restore as well. Then I could not see the Camera device in Hidden devices as well.

I assume the restore made use of the Cloud Recovery Client app and you reloaded the OS from the HP recovery partition

This should not have affected the bios but I could be mistaken.

The most recent BIOS is 01.09.02 and which can be downloaded here.

If you expand the revision history you will find that camera firmware is mentioned frequently. 

You might upgrade to that BIOS is you are using an older one.  Note that upgrading bios is dangerous.

You should run diagnostics first to verify memory and disk are good.

Tap the ESC key after powering on to run diagnostics. Do not allow any updates if disk or memory fail. If your system does not have BIOS diagnostics then get HP's UEFI diagnostics here.

Look for the phrase 'issues outside the OS', expand the '+'symbol and click the DOWNLOAD button.

Click here to check warranty
and
Click here for world-wide contact info

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.