Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy Notebook 15-as050na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys, I need help. I have the above laptop and I don't have much storage left in C drive. I have had to use D drive to hold precious photos and videos of family. I believe I have 8gb RAM and 128gb solid state drive plus 1TB hard drive.

I am not the brightest when it comes to figures on why for instance me C drive is almost full. I do use external HDn.  to store my photos/videos. I also like to keep them on my laptop but I believe I have quite a few duplicates. Can someone recommend a really easy to use duplicate finder software? So many to choose from.

I would be grateful for advice on what is exactly my 128gb? I this the C drive? The D drive being the 1TB? The properties suggest this. Can I increase the SSD and HD capacity or would I be better upgrading to another laptop? I do not use my laptop for games.

I do use my smartphone a heck of a lot more but I still want a portable PC. There's so much out there. 

So, what are my choices? What is the maximum storage I can have? This laptop is a 15" screen. I am happy to look for a smaller screen. Then I can take it on my travels. Look forward to feedback. Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The official specs for your laptop as originally configured by HP only mention the 1 TB 5400 rpm 2.5 inch SATA mechanical hard drive. 

On the model series, however, there were options for an M.2 SSD aka gumstick drive. I assume you have a 128 gig M.2 SSD as the C: drive and then the original 1 TB 5400 rpm mechanical hard drive as the D; drive. There is no problem in keeping the photos, documents and such on the hard drive. In fact, that is what it is designed to do. 

One very easy thing to do which will instantly free up space on the C: drive is to relocate the "Library" files to the  "D" drive. That is the standard Windows "documents" "photos" "videos" and "downloads" folders. This is where a lot of stuff accumulates. This tells how to do that:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/419271/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partiti...

Yes, you could install larger capacity disks and if you can do the work yourself it would cost a fraction of a new laptop. However, 1 TB is a pretty big storage space and may be enough for you if you can slim down the C: drive. This also means you have your "system" and "data" separated so that any crash of the system drive does not also take down your data. You also want to consider having a backup of everything on an external drive. A lot to digest here and I will leave off and invite any further questions you may have. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.