Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 17-y013cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop keeps randomly shutting down. Could this be because it's over heating and if so can I change the fan to solve the problem

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dhxxo,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with you laptop shuts down randomly, don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Does the laptop shuts down due to overheating?

Have you checked if the laptop shuts down in Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the Notebook:

Step 1: Performing a hard reset: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Step 2: ​​​​Boot the computer into the Bios screen and check if it shuts down.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, leave the  computer in the Bios screen for a while and check if it stays ON or does it shuts down. If the laptop shuts down even in the Bios it is likely a hardware failure.

Alternatively, In such issues where the computer randomly shuts down it's always better to capture an error message with the report of why windows is crashing via a Blue screen,

However, since you haven’t captured the error code or message, as the blue screen hasn't appeared, I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix:

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  • In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK.
  • Restart the computer to apply the change.
  • The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs.

For more details: click here

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run an extensive system diagnostics test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

However, if the computer shuts down and the lights on both the power button and the charger port turns off,

you may need to try with an alternate power adapter and reseat the battery before you try using it again

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet_sing,

Thank you for responding to my post.

I haven't made any hardware or software changes to the laptop.

I'm not sure if it is over heating, I suspect that it might be because the bottom gets warm even though I hear the fan working.

In my original post I asked if changing the fan might fix it if it is over heating.

Also, when I said randomly shutting down, it doesn't go through any shutdown sequence it just suddenly turns off. I haven't tried it in bios, I will try it next. Thanks

Dhxxo

HP Recommended

@Dhxxo,

Thank you for replying,

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.