Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G62-b25SA Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Inherited this laptop from someone who sold their house & no longer wanted it.

Trying to speed it up & thought of the 2 obvious ways, SSD & max the RAM.   SSD - no problem, clean install of W.10.

Memory - well....

According to everything I found, it has a 1439 motherboard & can take 8gb in 2 sticks.   Tried it, bios memory test sees it & reports OK but Windows blue screen's, won't boot.   Tried various permutations to check each 4gb stick & it tests OK in bios but Windows won't play ball.

Found another thread which referenced the user manual for a 1439M/B & that just caused more confusion.   (1439 in a G72, but the M/B is the same).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152

Page no.2 (12 of 140).

Memory.

Supports up to 8 GB of system memory

Supports the following configurations:

●4096 MB (2048 MB × 2)

So does it take 8gb or not?   This seems to say "yes", but only as 2 x 2GB sodimms!!!   Pardon my maths, I am over 60y.o., but I don't think that works.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The notebook should support 2 x 4 GB of memory. 

Chapter 1 of the G62 service manual indicates that 2 x 4 GB of memory is supported.

c02542102.pdf (hp.com)

The problem is most likely with the memory you installed.

It is very difficult to find the right memory to work in HP notebooks with the Intel 1st Generation Core processors.

Most folks go out and buy DDR3L-1600 memory and that can't go back two clock speeds to 1066 MHz.

You can read through this discussion and see if you installed the right type of memory for your notebook as it applies to any notebook with the hardware yours comes with.

Solved: Memory upgrade 6550b - HP Support Community - 5340551

Basically, you need to find 4 GB memory chips that are DDR3-1333 (10600), non-ECC, unbuffered, 1.5V, with 8 little black memory chips on each side of the circuit board, not 4.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'd actually found that info. for the G62 already, but when I ran Sandra on it that said the M/B was a 1439, which lead to the manual I found for the G72.

Even more confusing as we'd already had a G62 a couple of years back, came from a granddaughter, & the memory sticks were from that & had worked for several years.

I'll check out that thread you referenced & see if that gives any insight.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I had the same thing happen to me on a Dell Latitude notebook with similar hardware.

The notebook had on memory slot and only had a 2 GB memory chip, but the slot supported up to 4 GB.

I popped in a 4 GB DDR3L-1600 memory chip from a HP notebook I had upgraded the memory in to 2 x 8 GB and it did not work in the Dell notebook.

So, I bought a 4 GB chip matching the specs I shared with you and the notebook ran just fine with that one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.