Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-w202na 4K Gaming
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought this new laptop and it has two USB's on the right and one on the left. The one on the left doesn't seem to work.

In device manager I see: 

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub (xHCI)

When I click show hidden devices, three more USB Composite Device's appear saying they're not connected? 

Tad bit confused over what to do here, any suggestions are welcome, thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you need to make a warranty claim. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/scm/home?ac.admitted=1492428439093.1123376534.1994...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Tap F2 as you power up to enter diagnostics. One of the tests is the usb ports. Run it and post results, please. 

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 20. The left usb port is on a daughterboard that can go bad. If the other ports work then it means the motherboard is OK. 

If ti turns out the left usb port is bad HP would obviously replace it under warranty. 

HP Recommended

Great! Thank you, I just did the test and the results are below - I also did the test for one of the ports on the right side and it passed (just to make sure I was doing the right thing). So I guess this means that the problem is in the daughterboard as you said? Thanks 

IMG_7208.PNG

HP Recommended

Yes you need to make a warranty claim. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/scm/home?ac.admitted=1492428439093.1123376534.1994...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.