Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-cs2016UR 6RK80EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi)
I want to upgrade my laptop with SSD. But I cant't find any info about M.2 interface. SATA or PCIe? What type of key here? B or M?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual.

Manual 

You see on pages 2 and 3 both SATA and PCIe/NVME M.2 SSDs are listed so you can insert either into the M.2 slot on the motherboard. All M.2 slots are physically the same. Two chambers. However, either a B Keyed ("2-prong") or B + M keyed (3-prong) will fit into the M.2 slot. The manufacturer decides how to configure the M.2 slot and in your case HP has provided the circuitry so that either kind is compatible. NVME tends to be 2-prong and SATA tends to be 3, but that is not 100% true. 

Your motherboard looks like this:

red arrow points to M.2 slotred arrow points to M.2 slot

Samsung Evo 970 Plus is my preferred NVME M.2 SSD but I am not sure what you can find to buy in the RF. Good luck and post back with any more questions. Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual.

Manual 

You see on pages 2 and 3 both SATA and PCIe/NVME M.2 SSDs are listed so you can insert either into the M.2 slot on the motherboard. All M.2 slots are physically the same. Two chambers. However, either a B Keyed ("2-prong") or B + M keyed (3-prong) will fit into the M.2 slot. The manufacturer decides how to configure the M.2 slot and in your case HP has provided the circuitry so that either kind is compatible. NVME tends to be 2-prong and SATA tends to be 3, but that is not 100% true. 

Your motherboard looks like this:

red arrow points to M.2 slotred arrow points to M.2 slot

Samsung Evo 970 Plus is my preferred NVME M.2 SSD but I am not sure what you can find to buy in the RF. Good luck and post back with any more questions. Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

My motherboard looks like this. So finally, to clarify, what types I can choose from the photo below? M2.jpg

Pcie.png

HP Recommended

That picture is exactly what is shown in the Manual so I do not understand your confusion. I have not seen any PCIe gen 4 SSDs listed as compatible with HP laptops so I would say all of the above except that one. You might make reference to specific models you are thinking of buying. 

So good luck to you and I am sure you have this well in hand, right?

HP Recommended

Thanks and good luck to you too.
"and I am sure you have this well in hand, right?"  If yo are talking about SSD, no I  haven't bought it yet)

HP Recommended

That's an English phrase that means you have the situation under control, that you have a plan and know what you are doing. If not keep asking questions. If you want to check the marketplace in RF and tell me which you are thinking of buying I can give you my best estimate if it will work. You are not likely to get something that will not. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.