Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2K3D8AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, 
I am thinking of upgrading my laptop and there are some things I would like to confirm. 

I own a HP laptop (Model: HP 15s-eq) with the capacity of 256gb (SSD NVMe) and I plan to upgrade it to 1TB. Would a 1TB NVMe SSD be too much for my notebook or there is no limit in capacity?

Additionally, since the Windows OS stays on the old SSD after replacing, I would like to know if I need to buy or activate Windows 11 after upgrading. Or it just need a new, fresh install, no inconvenience? I don't plan on cloning my SSD.

Any reply would be much obliged. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be fine with a 1 GB NVMe SSD.

The service manual for the older model series shows that HP offered NVMe SSD's up to 512 GB.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

That was just what they offered, not the max supported.

If your notebook came with Windows the product key is in the BIOS.

You do not need to buy a new license to reinstall Windows on the SSD.

Your notebook may even be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the new SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be fine with a 1 GB NVMe SSD.

The service manual for the older model series shows that HP offered NVMe SSD's up to 512 GB.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

That was just what they offered, not the max supported.

If your notebook came with Windows the product key is in the BIOS.

You do not need to buy a new license to reinstall Windows on the SSD.

Your notebook may even be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook on the new SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, your response has helped me significantly

In conclusion, there should be no limit in terms of storage? Meaning, I can go higher than 1TB?

Sorry, I'm just making sure. I'm worried that the manual to my model only states 512 GB.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I wouldn't necessarily say no limit, but you should be able to go up to 2 TB if you want.

The Crucial memory/SSD report for your notebook shows that they offer drives up to 2 TB, so I would play it safe and go no higher than that.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 15s-eq series | HP 15-e2000 | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Got it. Thank you for everything. You were very helpful.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.