Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to look, I am however a bit confused by this HP 250 G4 laptop that my partner bought me.

I recently started to get an error ( https://imgur.com/a/zUuYv ) upon turning the laptop on that the "fan" had stopped working, so i decided to have a look into the fan and i came across..... there isn't one installed..... am i seeing things??

https://imgur.com/a/j7Jj1 there is no fan installed on this Laptop?? Can anyone help me shed some light please.

https://imgur.com/a/H29KK this is the cooling system but no fan to cool down the metal.

I have checked the temp to the cores and they reach from 60° - 100° 😕 i noticed the laptop got warm when i first got it but never like it is now.... nothing has changed, nothing is different from when I first got it other than the thermal paste that i changed as the other had dried up.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ceruleanmystery

HP 250 G4 is a series of many models/products/configurations with the following options for processor/CPU

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U with Intel® HD Graphics 520 (2.3 GHz, up to 2.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, up to 2.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel® Core™ i3-5005U with Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) )
  • Intel® Core™ i3-4005U with Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (1.7 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel® Pentium® N3700 with Intel® HD Graphics (1.6 GHz, up to 2.4 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel® Pentium® 3825U (1.6 GHz, up to 1.90 GHz, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)
  • Intel® Celeron® N3050 with Intel® HD Graphics (1.6 GHz, up to 2.16 GHz, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)

Machine with lower wattage CPU does NOT have fan. Does your machine have CPU on the following list ?

• Intel Pentium N3700 (1.6-GHz, turbo up to 2.4 GHz, 2-MB L3 cache, 1600-MHz, quad, 6W)
  • Intel Pentium N3540 (2.16-GHz, turbo up to 2.66 GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz, quad, 7.5W)
  • Intel Celeron® N3150 (1.66-GHz, turbo up to 2.08 GHz, 2-MB L3 cache, 1600-MHz, quad, 6W)
  • Intel Celeron N3050 (1.66-GHz, turbo up to 2.1 GHz, 2-MB L3 cache, 1600-MHz, dual, 6W)

If YES then it is a fanless (no fan) machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yeah my laptop is listed on the ones without a fan, this means that i cant use my laptop for much as it is starting to get very hot and turns off, thats why i had a look to make sure the "fan" wasn't blocked.

really dissapointed in this.... i know there low wattage cpu's but now i have a redundant laptop that can no longer be used due to this factor.

HP Recommended
Hey, your temps may be high due to the thermal paste. I'm pretty positive they used thermal pads 1mm thick so paste may not be making good contact.
HP Recommended

It seems unreal! This processor has a maximum temperature 90°C, which means that if it reaches a higher temperature, the computer will shut down immediately. It is therefore not logically possible to measure the temperature 100°C.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. 

Could the high tembe the reason for the laptop to off itself while working? Pls help

HP Recommended

Hi Lakachan.

This can be a big reason for the laptop to over gear and shut down.

I am now at the stage where thermal paste has been applied and will do it now with trying to run the likes of photoshop as this software can use alot of resources.

I have removed and applied the thermal paste 3 times using different styles (gold, diamond and normal heatsink paste) and it still does it.

The low wattage cup laptops should really be used for casual student and or office work requiring the use of e-mails and office software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.