Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5 2048la
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I started to clean some files in the main C: files so then the touchpad didn't find the (controllers ordrivers) and i used a usb mouse. But now that doesn't work either since the only time i turned off the computer and then when i turned it on  it stopped working also. Even if i have to do something more professional i would like any answers. Also de CD rom doesn't work a long time ago. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alex-Simball

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're in a really difficult situation that is going to be nearly impossible to fix.

First, there are ways, if you have Windows installation media, to repair missing system files -- but you probably do NOT have that, and even if you did, your optical drive would need to work in order to read the media.

Second, you could consider restoring your PC to its original condition using HP Recovery Media, but there are two problems with that: (1) HP does not stock that anymore for your PC, (2) it is a set of DVDs and a CD, and your optical reader would need to be working in order to use that.

To restore your PC to working condition, you're going to need to be able to boot using Windows disk media.  One way that MIGHT work is if you use an external DVD/CD drive plugged into a USB port -- but for that to work, your PC must be (1) bootable and (2) be able to boot from USB.  IF both of these are not true, then you can't restore it -- the way it is.

Here are some troubleshooting steps when your PC does not boot -- you can try them and see if anything works:  Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP) | HP® Customer Support

Maybe something in that set of steps will work.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Alex-Simball

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're in a really difficult situation that is going to be nearly impossible to fix.

First, there are ways, if you have Windows installation media, to repair missing system files -- but you probably do NOT have that, and even if you did, your optical drive would need to work in order to read the media.

Second, you could consider restoring your PC to its original condition using HP Recovery Media, but there are two problems with that: (1) HP does not stock that anymore for your PC, (2) it is a set of DVDs and a CD, and your optical reader would need to be working in order to use that.

To restore your PC to working condition, you're going to need to be able to boot using Windows disk media.  One way that MIGHT work is if you use an external DVD/CD drive plugged into a USB port -- but for that to work, your PC must be (1) bootable and (2) be able to boot from USB.  IF both of these are not true, then you can't restore it -- the way it is.

Here are some troubleshooting steps when your PC does not boot -- you can try them and see if anything works:  Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP) | HP® Customer Support

Maybe something in that set of steps will work.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.