Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 17 notebook pc e1p45av
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

I knocked my water bottle over and it spilled on the keyboard, I wiped it up and the keyboard seemed to be working fine, about 20 minutes later I went to type a message and some of the keys were not acting correctly, the “left arrow” key was acting as “enter”, the “L” key was typing as “L;” and some other keys would not type at all.

i turned off the laptop and removed the keypad and wiped it all down, there was some water still around it.

i restarted the computer and could not enter my log in password as the keys were not entering properly, I used the “on screen keyboard” to log in, I opened notepad and tried typing, and some letters worked and then none worked at all, I currently can get some to work after it restarts and then none of the keys work at all, what’s weird is all the keys at the very top seem to work, like the brightness and volume buttons work, but I can’t get the “esc” key to work to go into my bios on restart.

im not sure if it’s the water damage causing the error 

or when I was wiping down the keys at first did I hit a combination of buttons to put my keyboard is some weird mode? 

I tired deleting the keyboard driver and restarting and that didn’t help.

i also tried shutting down and removing battery and pressing the power button down for 15 or 60 seconds, and that didn’t do anything

any help would be appreciated.

Is the keyboard broken? Do I need to get a new one? Why do the top keys continue to work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

After pressing power button keep pressing ESC and see if the startup menu appears. If the menu appears, enter BIOS and see if the arrow keys work and any other keys. If the menu does not appear the keyboard is defective.

Most likely you will need to replace the keyboard, it is common for only parts of the keyboard to fail, especially after water damage.

On pages 21-22 of service manual you can see a list of the keyboards and see which one you need. With the product number you can then search online and it should not be too difficult to find a replacement keyboard.

On page 57 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the keyboard

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04069163

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

After pressing power button keep pressing ESC and see if the startup menu appears. If the menu appears, enter BIOS and see if the arrow keys work and any other keys. If the menu does not appear the keyboard is defective.

Most likely you will need to replace the keyboard, it is common for only parts of the keyboard to fail, especially after water damage.

On pages 21-22 of service manual you can see a list of the keyboards and see which one you need. With the product number you can then search online and it should not be too difficult to find a replacement keyboard.

On page 57 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the keyboard

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04069163

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply , knowing that keyboard could be damaged and still funcatiom a bit is helpful info, I assumed that if it worked a little it most not be broken, so it’s good to know that a replacement is needed, I ordered one.

and thank you for the link to the manual.

i will say the info was on different pages, pages 31 for the keyboard replacement number, and page 66 for the replacement info

Thanks agian!

HP Recommended

Your welcome.

Let me know if you need any further help.

By the way, if you look at the actual page numbering in the manual (at bottom of page) I gave the exact page numbers. Well, you also gave the exact page numbers if we look at the pages in pdf reader which does not take into account all the preface of the manual (it counts them as pages).

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.