Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion - 15-au179sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Depending on which key is pressed the keyboard either does not respond or random reactions occur such as random windows appearing on the screen. Holding down 'g' allows normal typing.

I have reinstalled the driver and uninstalled latest windows updates - no change. No damage to keyboard such as drink spills.

It appears that the keyboard is faulty but if anyone can confirm or suggest any fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Dogger4 

I can think of two things to try ...

First, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:  Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Customer Support

Second, I would connect an external keyboard to see if that works OK.  If it does, and I suspect it will, that means yours is most likely defective.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Diagnostics can't be completed because using the keyboard just makes random windows open.

Edit: have tried various windows repairs: chkdsk, sfc, reset - no change.

USB keyboard will now work until laptop keyboard is used at which point USB keyboard will no longer work.

In BIOS, using laptop keyboard causes BIOS to beep repeatedly and screen to blink rapidly.

So it seems to point to a keyboard hardware fault, but perhaps that's not all, or perhaps it's a board fault.

Any input appreciated.

HP Recommended

@Dogger4 

If you can't try the keyboard troubleshooting steps, then unfortunately, there is no real way to find out what is wrong with the built-in keyboard, or even if replacing it will fix the issue.

Since we have no way at all of running diagnostics on it from here, you have little choice other than to take it to a computer facility that can check it out for you and hopefully, they can tell you what is wrong with it and what it will cost to fix it.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I hoped someone else might have had the same issue since it's not easy to 100% diagnose, but it seems not.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.