Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

The problem is known by HP, and has been ignored for years.

As far as I am aware all the DV series has suffered from the same bad design that allows them to run excessively hot.

The person that designed the cooling should have been slapped over the head and fined for bringing HP into disrepute.

The solution is to buy any brand other than a HP DV series.

Changing the Thermal Interface Material may bring temps down marginally as will keeping the system clean and lowering power settings, all things that should not be necessary.

Personally I am looking at replacing the i7 with a cooler running i5 as there is no setting in the BIOS to disable Hyperthreading or disable Cores.

Get your act together HP and bring out a revised BIOS that allows this so the system will run cooler, surely that would be cheaper than revising hardware!

HP Recommended

That does not make my laptop run cooler, maximum temp is still 97c in cores.

Any hotter and I could boil water on the aluminium keyboard surround.

HP Recommended

I always work with the battery out now, and plug into the mains.  The heating problem is now concentrated on the area where the lead to the router is plugged in. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS IS THE ONLY COMPUTER OR LAPTOP IN OUR HOUSE THAT IS UNABLE TO SUPPORT WINDOWS 8 OR 10.   I AM NEARLY 80 NOW AND CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER LAPTOP.

HP Recommended

Hi, in my experience the main cause of overheating problems is dust, located near the heatsink fan. Unfortunately you will probably need to completely disassemble your laptop. I spent about 90 minutes (disassemble and reassemble) doing it on my dv6 2153el, but it was worth it. CPU 90°C->65°C and GPU 90-100°C ->70-80°C. Doing this I suggest to replace the thermal paste of cpu and gpu. 
Photo: http://imgur.com/fY8Ztpm

HP Recommended

I really used to love my laptop.. but now all it does is throttle whilst gaming.. I cleaned out the heatsink and the fan and yet it still overheats like a mad thing (CPU:92 degrees.. GPU:103 degrees) So my conclusion is, after reading many other posts, that the dv6 notebooks have a TERRIBLE DESIGN. And to make it worse, HP dont even give a care

HP Recommended

Although this is a pretty old thread , one step being missed after dismantling these laptops  is to remove the CPU fan cover ( three small screws ) as fluff builds up underneath it on the inlet to the cooling fins. With my machine ( an AMD processor ) the operating temp is now 53 - 56c running at full throttle ( it used to be almost untouchable it got so hot ).

HP Recommended
I have a hp dv6 with the same exact problem and I tried managing but it got bad to the extent that i couldn't do anything with it so I got a fan replacement now its perfect
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.