Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Two years after, this post was so helpfull to me.

Thanks!!!!
HP Recommended

This helped alot. I couldnt find either the cooling or the active power management steps, but this has totally stopped my blue screens so far, although it has only been a day. However, before I changed my cpu power to 90% I would crash after maybe 10-20 minutes of playing counter strike 1.6, now I can play all night no problem. Which should have been the case, considering the game came out ~2002.

HP Recommended

I have sorted the overheating problem at last.  Here's how.  Charge up the laptop, then remove the charging lead from the side.  Do not 'change' to the economy graphics to use the internet or Windows Live Mail.  Continue to use the laptop till you get a warning that the charge is low, charge up again at that point.  It is good to let your battery get low and you should let it get very low once a week. It's keeping the laptop constantly charging that .causes the overheating of the laptop itself and of the charger.  (Your battery will not last for ever, but mine is 22 months old and still fine.)

Enjoy using your cool quiet laptop from now on!!!!

HP Recommended

for your laptop over heating  best way clean your inside cpu Fan.

I have the same problems and my laptop overheating few times and crashed. after cleaning cpu fan now is OK .

HP Recommended

Twice replaced the thermal paste. But now it's over. My motherboard is RIP. Was to hot..

Never more HP laptop

HP Recommended

I bought my laptop in the spring of 2011 a HP pavilion DV6 with an i5 processor. 

After less than a year it started getting some serious heat issues. I couldn't use it straight on a table since it would go to hibernation due to overheating. So I only used it on a cooling pad with an external fan. 

It always had the fan on max even while idling on the desktop, when testing with applications like speedfan it always registered temperatures around 90 degrees celcius, which was quite scary.

So I found this thread, ordered some artic mx2 thermal paste and opened the sucker up. in the process I broke the fan of the heatsink and found a layer of dust almost like cloth clogging the inside of the heatsink which I would never have been able to access if I didnt break it.

I glued it together with some glue that was guaranteed to work until 120 degrees.  

I replaced the thermal paste and reassembled the laptop. 

Now the computer is running like new!

idling temperatures below 40 degress, I have been playing games on it again and the fan never goes as noisy as it used to. 

Good luck!

HP Recommended

DV6 laptops are well known to have a poor cooling design, I have one myself, with i5 460M and ATI 5650M. First of all, a decent cooling pad can lower your temperatures up to 10 degrees °C - I personally recommend those with one big fan (170mm or more), since they cool the whole bottom of the laptop (I use Zalman NC3000). The other thing is to keep in mind that you should use a can of compressed air to blow out the dust that has most likely piled up around the fan area. Another thing is the thermal paste between CPU/GPU chips and heatsink. It tends to be of a poor quality, so repasting the spot with a good thermal paste (I used MX-4) will give you additional temperature reduction. As for the BIOS settings, "Fan always on" should be enabled. As for Power Management, turn the maximum CPU power to 99%, this will turn off the Turbo Boost function, which increases the frequency of the CPU by a very small amount, and the additional heat it produces is just not worth it.

So, to conclude it all:

1, buy a laptop cooler

2, blow the dust with a can of compressed air

3, enable "Fan always on" in BIOS

4, turn the Turbo Boost off

5, if sh*t gets really nasty, have the thermal paste replaced by a better one

This way, I manage to keep my CPU below 80°C and GPU below 65°C at all times.

HP Recommended

I am not sure why but my dv6 motor is screaming at times.

I close all my programs but it still races, It slows down at times then up again for no obvious reason.

I am running Home Win 7.

What can I do to stop the motor racing please?

I will never ever buy a HP laptop again, This was the first and the last.

oz

HP Recommended

This is a common problem with the hp pavilion dv6 notebook. Apparently it is a design flaw

there are a couple of ways to fix this.

1. spray compressed air into the fan vents.

2. scan for viruses

3. an hard drive error has occured on your system and you need to replace hard drive

4. make sure youe notebook power settings in on hp recomended

5.click on power icon more power options click on hp recomended change plan settings then click on change advanced plan settings then find and click process power managment then click maxium power state and put it down 5 percent down this will not hurt your performace in games.

6. when on advance power options and in the sam tab as number 5 click system cooling policy and change plugged in or battery to passive this will lower performace for gaming etc unless your have like 3.0 ghz + it won't be such a difference

If i helped please click the Kudos button Thanks

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

After 1,5 year my laptop crashed. If i would turn it on, it does nothing. At the repair centre they have substitute the motherboard, heatsink and the housing. We can conclude that the problem for the crash was overheat. Now i've got a new motherboard and heatsink, and the themperature is mostly 60 degrees celcius at high gaming! Great thing. So please change your heatsink before your laptop dies!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.