Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-5020ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to breathe a little more life out of my laptop, and want to upgrade the M.2 SSD to a 1TB (256 GB stock) and am having issues. I bought a Samsung 970 EVO (MZ-V7E1T0BW) NVMw M.2 and a USB to M.2 Adaptor and used Minitool partition wizard 11.something to clone the drive, as detailed in this video. So far, so good.

I pop open the back, remove the old drive, move the stud over (stock drive is shorter), mount the EVO, flip it over and boot it up. I get an HDD not found error. I boot into BIOS, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to autodetect or change the SDD. There is no "advanced" menu, and the only place I can find the SSD model is through selecting the OS boot manager in the boot order, and it always shows the manufacturer/model of the stock drive. I have also tried restoring default BIOS settings, to no effect.

Putting the system back to stock configuration and loading the Samsung M.2 into the adaptor, and it works fine.

Considerations:
The stock SSD is M.2 SATA, and the EVO is a M.2 PCIe. The HP OMEN Notebook - Maintenance and Service Guide shows stock configurations of both SATA and PCIe (page 30, pdf page 36, image of table). This WOOT page shows the same model as having a PCIe stock.
Bios is current F.47(7Jun2019).
No "Advanced" tab, or I don't know how to get to it in the BIOS. I've tried the "Press A immediately", Fn+Tab three times, and CTRL+F10 on boot, all with no luck. (found here).
The Stock SSD has both M and B keys, although the EVO is only M key. The connector on the board has pins for M keyed drives (no B post). The drive was installed the correct way up, and there are the correct number of pins on the outside of the notch (to check that it wasn't jammed in upside-down, M=5 B=6)

Pics:
Stock SSD
Samsung EVO SSD
BIOS Main
BIOS Security
BIOS Sys. Config
BIOS Boot options
BIOS OS Boot Manager
BIOS Exit

Any thoughts or suggestions would be super helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HoarseHorace 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04500191

It has  Intel Gen 4 CPU namely 2.5GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, it is an old generation of HP Omen machines In think they do not support M.2 NVMe SSD drives.  As you can see, it has 256GB solid-state drive which is SATA. I believe you can use Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@HoarseHorace 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04500191

It has  Intel Gen 4 CPU namely 2.5GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, it is an old generation of HP Omen machines In think they do not support M.2 NVMe SSD drives.  As you can see, it has 256GB solid-state drive which is SATA. I believe you can use Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help @Banhien.

Can you help me understand the difference between a NVMe SSD and a non-NVMe SSD that uses PCIe? For reference, the HP OMEN Notebook - Maintenance and Service Guide which is linked from the Manuals Page for the 15-2050ca lists both PCIe and SATA drives (top of page 30, PDF page 36).

It looks like my laptop is just barely too old. Mid 2014 Haswell Refresh processors may support NVMe, but this is just a regular Haswell.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.