Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My EliteBook is slowly losing it's charge even though I have it plugged in.  HP Support Assistant cannot find anything wrong with the battery so my question is:  at which percentage can I expect the battery to start charging again?  This is baffling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

what percentage is it on? Mine do the same thing until they get down to 94% at which point if you unplug the AC power and run it for a little on battery then plug AC back in it will charge back up to 100. The battery is designed not to charge when it is near the top to prevent unnecessary cycles from registering in the smart chip and shortening battery life. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

what percentage is it on? Mine do the same thing until they get down to 94% at which point if you unplug the AC power and run it for a little on battery then plug AC back in it will charge back up to 100. The battery is designed not to charge when it is near the top to prevent unnecessary cycles from registering in the smart chip and shortening battery life. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

Power is at 97% and not discharging very fast at all.  It has been between 97 and 100% for about three weeks or so. I will follow your suggestion and not plug power to it until I can discharge it enough to determine if it will charge.  Thank you for the reply and I will let you know how things develop.

HP Recommended

That is consistent with what I get on my Zbook 15 G3. Battery is over 3 years old and still good. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

That suggestion was "the ticket".  You are the man, once the battery discharged to 93% and I plugged the power back into the laptop it started charging and in no time (exaggeration) it was at 100%.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.