Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

It turns out I have the SAME problem.  I found loads of videos talking about the very general and worthless process of "installing" a key.  If I had a broadnew keyboard mat, I could likely figure out what they don't say, and do it.

But I need to be able to REMOVE the retainer clip from  a cost-co HP Envy 15-as133cl 15t Touchscreen Laptop(silver backlit keys)   purchased in 2016

The clip is apparently ONE part and doesn't look like the one in the video you linked to.  It appears to be hooked by two pins in the top of the keyboard.  If I make a mistake, it may mean having to replace the whole keyboard and subjecting everything to downtime and risk.  how can I get the retainer clip off without damaging stuff?  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@stephen-hp Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I'm afraid we don't have an option of replacing a single key as such, the only way to get this done is by replacing the keyboard, the downtime is only a few minutes more than the other as you need to remove the entire keyboard and replace it with the new one, that said, you may go through the service and maintenance guide for details on how to get the replacement done on your own (DIY) - Click here for details (Visit Page. 48 > Chapter 5 > Removal and replacement procedures)

To get replacement parts from HP: Click here to access the HP Part Surfer and find the part number supported for your device, if you can't order it online, you could always order it online using any of the local online stores such as eBay, etc.., considering the part number is universal.

You may want to get back to us and clarify any queries, as we'll be glad to help.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.