Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Bumping this topic as we're still waiting for this bios update. I see there was another update June 23, but USB C isn't mentioned so I'm sure it doesn't enable the third party charger function.

I think it's fair to say that at this point deliberately preventing third party chargers just doesn't make any sense with how widespread they are now. I understood when this laptop first came out it was a bit of the wild west but now it's pretty settled.

HP Recommended

It's pretty disappointing that HP isn't willing to support their older products. The original stance of blocking 3rd party chargers for our own protection doesn't even make sense anymore given that on newer HP products they've opened up to 3rd party chargers. It's pretty clear that in our case it's just that HP doesn't want to bother.

HP Recommended

....Fortunately I've since switched to the official HP USB-C dock which works great and does successfully charge over the single USB-C cable (see my earlier post).....

Which one is that? HP in the Netherlands says, there is no HP port-replicator which works with my X2. So there is not any possibility for me to connect several USB-items to my laptop.

We are talking about €800, which is almost $900........

HP Recommended
NON OEM USB TYPE-C CHARGERS WORKING - Charging while Off & ON!

F.27 Rev.A

This May BIOS allows the Targus USB TypeC Universal Charger Black APA93US to charge this tablet just like the OEM charger. I have tested the Targus and a PD enabled iVoler charger, both working.

Note, this is the MAY 17' BIOS and not the recent JUNE 17' BIOS. It is not found in the notes, but it is in fact working!
HP Recommended

I'm so glad you replied with this, I have not bought any third party chargers because I wanted confirmation before I spent the money. Wish HP would have put that in the notes, I'm off to buy a PD capable charger will also comment with my results! 

Rad777 since you're the creator of this topic you should update with your results in the first post and let everyone know

HP Recommended

Great news! Is that to say the June update won't work, and we should update only to May? 

HP Recommended

@Marezathus wrote:

....Fortunately I've since switched to the official HP USB-C dock which works great and does successfully charge over the single USB-C cable (see my earlier post).....

Which one is that? HP in the Netherlands says, there is no HP port-replicator which works with my X2. So there is not any possibility for me to connect several USB-items to my laptop.

We are talking about €800, which is almost $900........

It seems that there is different USB-C charging compatibility for amongst the different HP laptop models.  I have the most recent Spectre 13 laptop (Kaby Lake), where the latest firmware is F.33 (May 19. 2017) and with that firmware it still DOES NOT charge with my Plugable USB-C dock.  It does charge with my (expensive) HP USB-C dock (Amazon link).

The other poster reported that their Spectre x2 12 laptop with F.27 firmware DOES charge with their Targus USB-C dock.

HP Recommended

I can confirm that third party chargers do in fact work after the BIOS update! I bought the following charger from amazon (which is amazingly small I have to say!) and it works just fine!

iClever Potable USB Type-C BoostCube 45W Wall Charger with Power Delivery

HP Recommended

youareme7, thanks for the report of the iClever working! Did you upgrade to the May or June BIOS version?

HP Recommended

I only have done the may update so far, but I can't imagine them disabling it in the june update

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.