Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

thinking og using an SD card to store (and run) my virtual machines while testing.

hoping I can have my SD card stored permanently. 

Does anybody how far it will stick out of the laptop body?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No. 

USB 3.0 USB Type-C flash drive

See the link below

https://tweakers.net/categorie/306/usb-sticks/producten/#filter:q1YqKMpMTvXNzFOyMtBRKi5ITXbLzClJLSpW...

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

SD cards are incredible slow. 

You might want to reconsider and use a USB 3.0 Type-c flash drive instead.

You will need to use an adapter which normally is delivered with a high capacity Micro SD card.

The following video will give you some information about the SD card specifications.

You  will want to use the fastest and highest capacity card you can afford for your upgrade project.

When you put the card in the adapter and plug it into the SD card slot,

it  will be close to a flush fit and won't stick out at all.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply and advice.

I got confused though. you mention to consider a "usb3.0 Type-C" & "an adapter which normally is delivered with a high capacity Micro SD card".

do you mean to put a micro SD card in an adapter and connect that to the USB-c on the right side of the 840 G4?
that would mean your still using an SD card right?

HP Recommended

Sorry. Did not mean to confuse you.

The USB 3.0 Type-C usb flash drive has very high data transfer bandwidth @5 GB/s

"do you mean to put a micro SD card in an adapter and connect that to the USB-c on the right side of the 840 G4?"  No. Putting it in an adapter won't make it transfer data any faster.

I have used  SD cards for  android emulators  and virtualizations before and I, along with many others, have noted that the data transfer speed is slow, even with a class 10 SD card. (@90 MB/s)

The adapter that I mentioned is usually delivered with an SD card in the package. 

Current SD cards (micro) are too small to be used in a notebook PC without  an adapter.

I hope that makes my explanation more concise.

HP Recommended

a ok. so you mean using a USB 3.0 external disk then?

do you have a link to the device you mean?

HP Recommended

No. 

USB 3.0 USB Type-C flash drive

See the link below

https://tweakers.net/categorie/306/usb-sticks/producten/#filter:q1YqKMpMTvXNzFOyMtBRKi5ITXbLzClJLSpW...

HP Recommended

i'm really sorry. Noob here.

is this what you mean? ( the link you sent was a loooong list) https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1133959/sandisk-ultra-fit-usb-31-128gb-zwart/specificaties/

it to says the disk has a limit of 

Lezen (maximaal) 130MB/s

HP Recommended

Sorry about that. It is in Dutch. That perticular spec is reading 130 mb/s.  and it is USB 3.1 (Gen1, 5Gb/s).

That is still considerably faster than a class 10 SD card.

The cards on the following linkl would be much better. They connect to the USB Type-C port on your notebook.

Here are some other options at Newegg.com. In English

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007960%20601211664%206012...

HP Recommended

i see. thanks for the clarification. 
the only downside is that it will stick out of the laptop body quite a bit.

I'll have to consider....

thanks

HP Recommended

@niels_____ wrote:

i see. thanks for the clarification. 
the only downside is that it will stick out of the laptop body quite a bit.

I'll have to consider....

thanks

I can understand that.

The smallest USB 3.0 type-C flash drive I have sticks out about 2.5cm when plugged it to a USB 3.0 Type-C port.

SD cards are indeed unobtrusive, but the trade off is the dramatic difference in data transfer bandwidth.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.