Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP dv6-2150us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I use a HP dv6-2150us laptop with Win7.  I purchased a V-Nand SSD 850 EVO mSATA drive to boot from.  The connection and size is not the same as the current SATA drive. which is starting to make noise.  There is a connector that the drive will plug into.under a pannel to the rear of the computer.  Is this wher the SSD should be plugged in?

I do not see any references to using a SSD in the manual.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm sorry but your computer does not have any slot for a mSATA SSD.  You can replace your HDD with a SSD that uses a SATA interface and is 2.5" in size.  

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-2-5-sata-iii-250gb...

This would be the correct drive for your computer.  Just change the how much storage you need and this should be a nice replacement for your dieing HDD.

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I'm sorry but your computer does not have any slot for a mSATA SSD.  You can replace your HDD with a SSD that uses a SATA interface and is 2.5" in size.  

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-2-5-sata-iii-250gb...

This would be the correct drive for your computer.  Just change the how much storage you need and this should be a nice replacement for your dieing HDD.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  I should have checked before purchasing.

There is a connector under the cover in front of the hard drive. The connector is labeled PUPJ0011ZYD6BS  31UP6MB00J0.  What can be plugged into this connector?  Teh mSATA drive will plug into it.

HP Recommended

I have seen references to a drive bay that replaces the CD/DVD.  Do these work?  Whatypes of drives work in these conennectors?

HP Recommended

the only place that you can install a replacement drive is where the Hard Drive currently is and Yes the disk drive can be replaced with another hard drive.  Your computer does not have an mSATA slot and can not be installed in the system.  The only connector that your computer uses for hard drives are SATA.

HP Recommended

Is it possible that you could send a image of this connector?

HP Recommended

This is under a separate cover toward the front of the computer from tho one over the hard drive.

20170726_113858(-1.jpg

HP Recommended

I ordered the one you recommended.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Most likely this slot is used for some kind of expansion card such as a WWAN or Wireless LAN.  but because of the location that it is located in it most likely is not going to be used for an V-NAND SSD.  Plus with the age or the computer there is most likely a limitation that prevents the SSD from being able to be booted from.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for your information.  HP information indicates that SSD drives are supported but does not supply specific information on installing or using one. 

There is a built in WiFi (I assume on the motherboard).  Maybe this is where a replacement plugs in .

A search of all or the documentation does not provide any reference to the connector or for what it can be used.   The HP farmed out Tech support crew is not very useful--even for the the basics.  Even though the VNAND SSD fits the socket, I am not willing to risk a $180 card (and maybe the motherboard) to see what haoppens.   I reckon there has to be some mystery with technology to keep us entertained,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.