Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inserted the new m.2 ssd into the appropriate slot but it is not recognized by the laptop nor by the bios. I am wondering if the nvme ssd is even compatible but I am relatively sure that they are since I checked in the HP manual. Thank you in advance for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, the Samsung drive should be supported.

It is not unusual for the drive not to show up in the BIOS.

A new drive will not show up in Windows unless you initialize it first.

Initialize new disks | Microsoft Learn

What I suggest you do is this...

Use the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

After you create the media, temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive.

Boot from the media and see if it will install the factory image on the new SSD.

If it works you can reconnect the hard drive and use it for storage if you want.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. I completely forgot to mention, it is also not showing up in my disk management. It is literally nowhere to be found. No pop up to initialize it occurs either.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm sure you are anxious to see if the NVMe SSD works, so for now, if you have an 8 GB USB flash drive, make a plain W10 installation flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If W10 installs on the new SSD, at least you will know it works.

You can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion - 15-cs0053cl Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Then you can use your notebook as is, or get the 32 GB USB flash drive and restore the original HP factory image on the SSD.

HP Recommended

Okay I will buy new USB, disconnect current hardrive and attempt to install windows on the SSD drive. I'll update you ASAP.

HP Recommended

I downloaded a recovery file via HP recovery tool on a 128 gigabyte USB than tried to boot from said USB. I disconnected the SATA HDD and attempted to boot from said USB file. An error message popped up and refused to boot from USB. SSD is still not visible in BIOS.

HP Recommended

How are you trying to boot from the flash drive?

To boot from a flash drive, have it plugged into a USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Immediately press/tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the USB flash drive recovery media and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the flash drive.

HP Recommended

Yes these are the steps I took to boot from USB. Screen becomes blue and an error message pops up and refuses to boot up.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the problem could be.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.